Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CRISSCROSS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: CRISSCROSS Reply with quote

I first saw this 1992 film about 10 years ago, on the old laserdisc format , and left the viewing with a very deep impression of it. It has been a frustrating 10 year wait since then to see the film again, so you can imagine how happy I was to find that the film was finally released on DVD by MGM.

Produced by Goldie Hawn and starring herself in a rare dramatic role, this film is not easy to watch . Rated R for violence, profanity, vulgarity, nudity, sex and drugs , this film is a hard hitting and realistic look at a broken family trying to come to terms with the tragedy .

Set in 1969 in Key West, Florida , at the time of America's race to place a man on the moon, the time of hippies and drug counterculture , Goldie Hawn stars as Tracy, a single mother struggling to make a life for herself and her 12 year old son, Chris Cross. The boy's father , a bomber pilot, abandoned his family to live in a monastry after being emotionally scarred when he accidentally bombed an orphanage during the Vietnam war.

Tracy has three jobs and young Chris has five! But for some reason they can't seem to get out of the rundown hotel where they live or get a decent car. To greatly increase her income in a strip joint where she's been a bartender, Tracy agrees to become a stripper herself. She doesn't tell Chris, however, leading to the inevitable moment when he sneaks into the club and sees his mother on stage.

Meanwhile, Chris discovers that one of his jobs, getting fish from a boat each day for the hotel chef, is really a drug-running operation. One of the fish is stuffed with cocaine.

Rather than tell his mother or the police, he sees this as an opportunity to earn enough money, by selling the drugs himself , to save his mother from her shameful life as a stripper . All of this leads to the film's obvious moral, an anti-drug message.

Although this film was obviously a vehicle for Goldie Hawn to show off her dramatic skills, it is newcomer David Arnott's performance which gave the film it's emotional resonance with a raw, gritty performance that is deeply affecting and moving . David Arnott played his role as the troubled teen , coming of age, with just the right balance of streetwise believability, vulnerability and innocence , and it was his performance in this film that impacted me . He is no Haley Joel Osment, not by a long shot, but there is a natural intensity to his portrayal in this film that is fascinating to watch.

Sadly , David Arnott never made another film after this one , and attempts online to find out more about what happened to him after this film have largely come up naught . I suppose this is why Crisscross is regarded by many who watch it as such a special film, because it is the only recorded performance by this young but intense actor .

There are not many reviews for this little seen film that I can find on the internet, but here are a few excerpts :

"CRISSCROSS makes all the right moves. . . Goldie Hawn is thoroughly restrained and convincing. . . in a film that offers a deeply touching and tough-minded treatment of motherhood and adolescence."

­Caryn James, THE NEW YORK TIMES

"CRISSCROSS, set in 1969, captures something about that controversial decade almost perfectly. . . there are striking moments throughout...a small, movingly done human story."

­Michael Wilmington, LOS ANGELES TIMES

"Goldie Hawn is excellent. . . in a movie that gets its heart from a kind of social realism. . . a nice movie."

­David Sheehan, KNBC-TV

Crisscross ultimately is a flawed work , but one that pulls no emotional punches , anchored by surprisingly powerful performances from Goldie Hawn, and especially young David Arnott.

http://www.comeawayohumanchild.net/internetstore.htm
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
lynxcat

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks for reminding me about Crisscross!!! I remember seeing it a long time ago.... I guess when it first came out. I loved it! Now I'm going to have to find it on DVD. I've always remembered it but could never think of the name of the movie.

I had a vacation in Key West Florida once and it was wonderful... Just so laid back and relaxing. It was so nice just to do what you wanted without ever having to think about time or having to be somewhere, just forget the rest of the world existed!!! The only other place I've been like that was at Wake Island. Oh I miss those days
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynxcat wrote:
Oh thanks for reminding me about Crisscross!!! I remember seeing it a long time ago.... I guess when it first came out. I loved it! Now I'm going to have to find it on DVD. I've always remembered it but could never think of the name of the movie.

I had a vacation in Key West Florida once and it was wonderful... Just so laid back and relaxing. It was so nice just to do what you wanted without ever having to think about time or having to be somewhere, just forget the rest of the world existed!!! The only other place I've been like that was at Wake Island. Oh I miss those days

Oh wow .... lynxcat ! You've been to Key West ? Fantastic ! It looks like a really beautiful place. I'm glad I'm not the only one on this board who enjoyed the movie . Smile

Hope you manage to get the DVD . If you can't find it in the stores, you can order one from amazon.com through this website at our internet store :

http://www.comeawayohumanchild.net/internetstore.htm

It costs US$13.46 and it's from the now defunct MGM , so there may not be further pressings of this DVD after this batch is sold out....
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
lynxcat

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks Dan ! Very Happy Just went to the site and ordered Crisscross. So I should have it soon now. Very Happy
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynxcat wrote:
Oh thanks Dan ! Very Happy Just went to the site and ordered Crisscross. So I should have it soon now. Very Happy

Cool ! Hope you get it real soon ! Let me know how you enjoy the film the second time around. Very Happy
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
pazu7

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this film on VHS, but I have not watched it for a long time. I will probably go out and buy a DVD copy now that this post has reminded me of it. It's a good film with memorable characters. But I am not so surethat moral to the story is "anti-drug". Perhaps in the light of current societal sentiments that is an apt interpretation, but I think the message is much more complex than that.

You stated yourself that Goldie Hawn's character works numerous jobs and her son works too, and they still cannot seem to make it. The backdrop to all this is a man walking on the moon, seeming to contrast these technological heights with the borderline poverty that this woman straddles as she tries to build a life for her and her son. Everyboy seems caught in the grip of a situation bigger than they are. Even the narc is conflicted about doing his job.

It's been a while since I watched it and I'd have to view it again to comment more. While it was not as up front as "Kids" or Ciyt Of God", I remember that it was a brave film that I think was designed to ask more questions than give answers. The "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" scene probably would be laying on the edit room floor if it was done now-a-days.

Arnot did a great job, but I think he was really made for that character as opposed to have to make a stratch of any kind. It is strange that he just disappeared when he got so much attention for the role.

I was looking at info in the character last year sometime and IMDB had incorrectly linked his name to another David Arnot so that it looked as if he was writing screenplays at the age of 12. I sent them a note but do not know if they corrected the link.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pazu7 wrote:
It's a good film with memorable characters. But I am not so surethat moral to the story is "anti-drug". Perhaps in the light of current societal sentiments that is an apt interpretation, but I think the message is much more complex than that.

You stated yourself that Goldie Hawn's character works numerous jobs and her son works too, and they still cannot seem to make it. The backdrop to all this is a man walking on the moon, seeming to contrast these technological heights with the borderline poverty that this woman straddles as she tries to build a life for her and her son. Everyboy seems caught in the grip of a situation bigger than they are. Even the narc is conflicted about doing his job.

Whoa , Pazu ..... I do believe that you are right. When I read your post , I sat stunned for a while, because I never saw this perspective of the film, and it was like I was seeing the film with so much greater depth. I never realised the significance of the man walking on the moon in relation to the single mom and son's story , having taken that backdrop as just a period setting for the story .

Thank you so much for sharing that, because the whole film has taken on a depth I never realised it had. That's mind-blowing ! I am dying to see the film again with this new perspective.

Quote:
It's been a while since I watched it and I'd have to view it again to comment more. While it was not as up front as "Kids" or Ciyt Of God", I remember that it was a brave film that I think was designed to ask more questions than give answers. The "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" scene probably would be laying on the edit room floor if it was done now-a-days.

Again, I agree absolutely with you. That scene was definitely very daring, in that children were involved , but hey, these things happen in real life, and the way it was done was so natural that it was astonishing. Crisscross was definitely a brave film , but sadly it failed at the box office and and did not reach the audience it deserved to reach. I think many critics didn't quite get it either, and many wrote it off with some disdain. It remains a little known film till today .

Quote:
Arnot did a great job, but I think he was really made for that character as opposed to have to make a stratch of any kind. It is strange that he just disappeared when he got so much attention for the role.

Yes, that was strange. In the earlier years, there were some mailing lists devoted to him, but they were mostly quiet because there was so little information to be found about him. A search on google today doesn't even bring up those old mailing lists , and there is absolutely no trace of what happened to David Arnott after this film.

Quote:
I was looking at info in the character last year sometime and IMDB had incorrectly linked his name to another David Arnot so that it looked as if he was writing screenplays at the age of 12. I sent them a note but do not know if they corrected the link.

IMDB has corrected the link, so it's heartening to note that they did respond to your email. There are now links to two David Arnotts . The David Arnott of Crisscross now has a note to say that his birthname was David S. Arnott and that he was born on 5 October 1976 in San Diego, California, USA .

That would mean he was about 14 or 15 when the movie was filmed , and he is about 29 years old now.

www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
pazu7

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they have apparently not cleaned up all the mistakes.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0036714/

So, are there really two separate David Arnotts, or just one who for some reason doesn't want Criss Cross listed on his resume'? Not likely. So there are two David Arnotts, but for some reason IMDB gives the wroing guy the Criss Cross bio.

This is the same mistake I saw before. Arnott from CC was 16 in 92, this Arnott wrote the SP for The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane in 90. Pretty great accomplishment for a 14 year old, eh?

Someone else want to try?
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother made only this one movie. He was offered several other parts following the filming of this but said that he found the experience too emotionally draining. His life since has been a struggle as often happens to young teenagers who find themselves with a windfall of money. He now resides in Oregon and is still trying to find himself and his place in this world. Thank you for your interest. The filming of the movie in Key West was one of the most memorable experiences in our lives.
Lucas Arnott
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
My brother made only this one movie. He was offered several other parts following the filming of this but said that he found the experience too emotionally draining. His life since has been a struggle as often happens to young teenagers who find themselves with a windfall of money. He now resides in Oregon and is still trying to find himself and his place in this world. Thank you for your interest. The filming of the movie in Key West was one of the most memorable experiences in our lives.
Lucas Arnott

Welcome to the Comeaway forum, Lucas ... we are indeed honoured to have you here with us, and I am personally very happy to hear from you.

Criss Cross has been one of my favourite movies for many, many years, and David's performance in it was truly powerful, and unforgettable.

I have always hoped to have the opportunity to let him know that there are many who were deeply moved by his performance in this film, I certainly was and still am, and to say thanks to him for this legacy that he has left in the world of film.

I am sorry to hear that his life after the film has been a struggle, but am deeply heartened to hear that he is otherwise well and trying to find himself and his place in this world. I wish him all the very best, and he will always have my support.

Lucas, thank you so much taking the time to post this update on David. I really appreciate it. Please let David know how much I , and many others on this forum, appreciate him for his work on Criss Cross, and wish him well from all of us.

I mean it most sincerely...

Daniel
webmaster
www.comeawayohumanchild.net
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
JoJodancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally watched "Crisscross", thanks to Netflix! I liked it very much, it was a different film. The pace was slower than what I'm used to, which threw me off for a minute. I even thought David Arnott's acting was kinda stiff, but came to see it in a different light later on. The film did a good job of passing itself off as a film made in the late 60s. One of the memorable scenes was the car breakdown on the 7 mile bridge with the thunderstorm in the background. The thunderstorm echoed their lives, what was going on and foreshadowed what was about to happen.

I was saddened to learn that this was David Arnott's only film and to hear of the struggles he's having. A website which fans of young actors may want to check out is
Code:
http://www.minorcon.org
, the website of A Minor Consideration. An advocacy and support organization for former and current child actors, it was founded by Paul Petersen, who starred on "The Donna Reed Show" in the 50s as Donna's son, Jeff Stone. AMC is also supported by other former child actors including Jodie Foster, Melissa Gilbert and Jay North ("Dennis the Menace").
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoJodancer wrote:
I finally watched "Crisscross", thanks to Netflix! I liked it very much, it was a different film. The pace was slower than what I'm used to, which threw me off for a minute. I even thought David Arnott's acting was kinda stiff, but came to see it in a different light later on. The film did a good job of passing itself off as a film made in the late 60s. One of the memorable scenes was the car breakdown on the 7 mile bridge with the thunderstorm in the background. The thunderstorm echoed their lives, what was going on and foreshadowed what was about to happen.

I was saddened to learn that this was David Arnott's only film and to hear of the struggles he's having. A website which fans of young actors may want to check out is
Code:
http://www.minorcon.org
, the website of A Minor Consideration. An advocacy and support organization for former and current child actors, it was founded by Paul Petersen, who starred on "The Donna Reed Show" in the 50s as Donna's son, Jeff Stone. AMC is also supported by other former child actors including Jodie Foster, Melissa Gilbert and Jay North ("Dennis the Menace").

JoJodancer , a warm welcome to the Comeaway Forum Smile and thank you for your insightful comments about CrissCross and David Arnott.

Thank you also for drawing the attention to A Minor Consideration , which is an extremely important website and organisation all of us who love film should be supporting. They are indeed doing good work helping young actors who have had problems coping with their successes ( and failures ) as they grow up in the industry.

We could all do more to help too, after all, these young actors have left so much legacy in their films for us all these years ....
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: