Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Becoming a Man Speech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Second Hand Lions : Talk about the movie !
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CADJedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Becoming a Man Speech Reply with quote

I was wondering if the entire "becoming a man speech" by Hub is published anywhere?

Hub gives Walter a "part" of the speech and promises to give him the entire speech when he is older. So my question is: was the entire speech ever in the script? and if so, where can we find it?

Thanks!
Eric
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Becoming a man speech Reply with quote

I too would like a copy if one is avaialble. I loved this movie and saw in it the need for boys to have elders to help them in negotiating the transiton from adolesence to manhood. It made me think about some things I had read on this topic in Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth and James Hollis' book Under Saturn's Shadow - The Wounding and Healing of Men. Please let me know if you are albel to come across this. My email address is trpayton@sbcglobal.net. Thanks, Tom
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Becoming a Man Speech Reply with quote

CADJedi wrote:
I was wondering if the entire "becoming a man speech" by Hub is published anywhere?

Hub gives Walter a "part" of the speech and promises to give him the entire speech when he is older. So my question is: was the entire speech ever in the script? and if so, where can we find it?

Thanks!
Eric

Hi Eric and Tom ,

That truly was a beautiful speech , wasn't it?

I wish that I had better news for you, but Tim McCanlies said in his Director's Commentary of the SHL DVD , " Bobby ( Robert Duvall ) is giving the hoods his 'What every young boy needs to know about becoming a man ' speech .... I never had any of that scripted , because it was supposed to be far away ( ie: the scene was a long shot from the porch ) " although Robert Duvall did improvise a speech in that scene with the hoods.

So there you have it, Tim McCanlies never had the entire speech scripted , and all we have is the beautiful "excerpt" of the speech which Hub had given young Walter that night by the lake :

" Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good. That honour, courage and virtue mean everything ; that power and money ... money and power mean nothing. That good always triumphs over evil. And I want you to remember this.... that love....true love never dies ! Remember that boy ... remember that. Doesn't matter if it is true or not, a man should believe in those things , because those are the things worth believing in...... got that ? "
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/

Last edited by danchia on Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:14 am; edited 2 times in total
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Becoming a man speech Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
I too would like a copy if one is avaialble. I loved this movie and saw in it the need for boys to have elders to help them in negotiating the transiton from adolesence to manhood. It made me think about some things I had read on this topic in Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth and James Hollis' book Under Saturn's Shadow - The Wounding and Healing of Men. Please let me know if you are albel to come across this. My email address is trpayton@sbcglobal.net. Thanks, Tom

That is really interesting, Tom , I must try to get hold of those two books. Thanks for the recommendation ! Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
polezeman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: The becoming a man speach Reply with quote

What a wonderful movie.Robert Duvall took my attention in a way that reminded me of certain family members from my childhood in the San Antonio and New Braunfels area. Wow since I have been grown I realize I never got the speech. Boy do young men need it.
Suki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was truly a wonderful speech. I cried during that speech quite a few times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Second Hand Lions : Talk about the movie ! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: