Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Williams and the 2006 Academy Awards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> His other works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the Oscars dont indicate which was the best for sure. We all know that by now. Laughing

Well, perhaps the Academy is right. I might end up loving Crash instead of Brokeback, who knows. Wink

No wonder Goldsmith took that Oscar in 1976. Not too much nonimated score competiton in that year. However he was surrounded by Williams-goodness in 1975 and 1977.

John Williams then took Oscars for Jaws and Star Wars. Very Happy

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
pazu7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be careful using that awards thing as the standard. If Crash was the best movie, then Brokeback was the best score. Wink Williams is a better artist that Goldsmith, but, after reading some of the films he's scored, I see he has done a fair amount of quality work. He was also nominated 17 times.

I think the flaws in Crash will be rather obvious to you. Outside of purely subjective areas of taste, there are objective differences that I think caused almost everyone to object. But you'll have to decide that for yourself.
Busara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the Academy influencing me about what to like Pazu. Most of my mind and opinions is not easily bent. Smile It's just that I thought that I had to give Crash a try, just because I'm curious what makes the Academy tick.

There's so many 'small' worldcinema films that I've recently seen and love, and they'll probably always remain unnoticed by the general movie consuming public. I see the share of Hollywood films in my collection shrinking quickly compared to the more smaller-scaled independent productions.

My little shopping spree last weekend was a disaster to my wallet, and I came home with a lot of cool DVD's. There's a nice store overhere that sells a lot of great worldcinema films, for good prices too. I'll make a list of films I've acquired shortly. Smile

pazu7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busara, I was only kidding! Smile I am sure you have your own mind, after all you're a fan of AI, one of the more misunderstood and unfairly scathed films of our time. By all means you must watch Crash. You cannot judge a film by someone elses opinion, no matter how heartfelt.

Yes there is a host of great films that escape the Hollywood radar, and that is why the awards shows are generally industry hoopla. Some of the best films have been independent of Hollywood. But then the artists who produced it get popular and sucked into the belly of the beast!
pazu7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know why MC heard Candide on on Streaming Soutracks! They sometimes play music that is not associated with a score. They are now playing one of my all time favorite pieces of music, Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. I've used this piece so many times for mood while writing. It is the most beautiful lament ever written. I wrote a piece entitled "An Unfinished Question" entirely while listening to this piece and I used it in the first half my audio version of "In The Dream."
pazu7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard the Reunion on Streaming Soutracks. It's the first AI cut I've heard there.. Strangely it was the one from the Special Edition CD. There are subtle differences in tone and tempo, but I could tell. Beautiful. It took me away again.
Busara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since two days, I'm an official member of streamingsoundtracks.com - I love it. When you're a member (which is free by the way), you can actually request tracks to be played.

There's usually a 2-hour queue, but you can easily request three tracks each day, and they will be played. It's cool. Smile

The first track I requested was Alan Silvestri's Contact (End Credits), and the second track I requested was John Williams' "Cadillac Of The Skies" - from Empire of the Sun ofcourse.

It's difficult to request Williams tracks I found out. When there's a Williams track in the queue, you cannot add another. It takes precise timing and strategy to place his music in the queue. I'm going to try that again tomorrow. With "The Reunion". Smile

Ronnievb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love! streaming soundtracks! It's website build by fans, for fans which always seems to play the kind of music I want to hear. I haven't registered yet, but that's mainly because I don't see a point of criticism about any of the music they play. Of course, I do not know it all, but I do not dislike any of the songs they play. Now that's mainly because I love soundtracks, great music to study to or to listen to when you're in bed, not yet asleep.

Oh yeah, one point of criticism though, they should play Thomas Newman more often, he is the greatest!
Busara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much happy with the variety of music that is on streamingsoundtracks.com - unfortunately I kind of get annoyed by the videogame music they're also including. They're allowing 10% of the queue to be filled with anime/gaming music, which kind of destroys some of the soundtrack-magic for me.

But I should not complain. The other 90% is pretty much ok. Smile

You should register Ronnie. Let's teach those guys what to add to their queue. Wink

Ronnievb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strange thing I never noticed it.. I do not pay that much attention to what is played, more on how it sounds, so most of the time I do not know who or what is playing.

Mostly, I prefer playing my own soundtrack in their full length. Then you'll experience the movie more and you'll have music which is more in line and synchronised.

I have been playing Jan Kaczmarek's Finding Neverland most of the time lately, the pianosolos are counted among the best I've ever heard. Everytime I play it, it get's better and better. The guy at my local cd-shop begins to finding me annoying because I ask him so often if he has Finding Neverland in stock, which he never has. I think I should try some other store perhaps, or maybe the wonderful medium we call the internet.
Busara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those piano solo's are amazing. They're seriously getting close to the ones by demon piano player Williams, as our friend Zimmer likes to call him. Smile

Ronnievb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of a strange thing today, Haley has starred in films which also feature all my favorite componists. Thomas Newman, John Williams, Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, James Newton Howard. Strange thing that none of these composers ever got a oscar nomination for any of these great soundtracks.

No wonder we appreciate Haley's films so much, he always 'chose' the right composers to accompany his acting skills.
Busara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of a certain thing that George Lucas once mentioned: "50% of the movie experience is created by music and sound".

I don't agree with all of mr. Lucas' quotes, but this one makes a lot of sense. Imagine seeing Star Wars without the famous bombastic and sensitive music that Williams created. It would simply fail to impress.

Music is everything with certain movies. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> His other works All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: