Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHL Premiere in Austin - 9/14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Second Hand Lions : Talk about the movie !
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katherine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: SHL Premiere in Austin - 9/14 Reply with quote

I attended the premiere of SHL that was held in Austin this past Sunday. Tim and Haley were there for a Q & A session afterwards. I didn't get to see Haley up close and there was no autograph session (darn!), but it was wonderful to listen to him and Tim talk about this movie and a few other things. Haley is just as well spoken and enjoyable in person as he is in those interview on TV.

I wanted to mention something about the movie trailer we've all seen. A fair number of those scenes do not appear in the movie. As Tim explained, the person who works for the advertising agency gets hold of the the entire film BEFORE it's gone through it's final editing. The agency person decides which scenes to put in the trailer. Tim asked if it was common to see scenes in trailers that weren't in movies and everyone, including Haley, nodded vigorously.

It is a WONDERFUL and very funny movie! It was even more enjoyable than I had expected. Haley was terrific (as usual!) Robert and Michael were great as the essentric uncles.

I had read a review of the script awhile back that was negative, but I thought it was a very good and original script. Tim commented that he had trouble getting it released because he would be asked by Hollywood execs who the target audience was and his answer was, "Everyone." He said that just isn't done in Hollywood. He and Haley agreed that the type of movies nowadays are not very good, mostly sequels and remakes of other films.

Haley was asked what his next project (movie). He said he and his dad were looking at a couple of scripts (His tone held little enthusiasm, though). He said his next major project really was "Sophmore year." Everyone laughed.

His dad, Eugene, was there, but I couldn't see him. I was up in a balcony and he was sitting down below somewhere underneath the railing where my view was blocked. He is in the movie, too. He plays a doctor.

I plan to see SHL again in the theater when it is released and I look forward to getting the DVD. Oh, Tim was really toting the DVD already! He said there are outtakes on it and deleted scenes. The movie has a different ending than what he had originally written. He explained that when he showed it to a test audience, he found that the love they had developed for Walter (Haley) didn't transcend to Walter as an adult (played by another actor, Josh something -- sorry, I forgot and don't have time to look it up right now. He was good in it, too!) They really are different characters in the eyes and hearts of the audience, so he decided it would be best to cut the ending shorter and just "wrap it up." I think he made a good decision, given how he described the original ending.

Haley said the pig attacked him. He didn't give any details, but I think that outtake will be on the DVD, also. That is the impression we got, anyway. They had made so many precautions about the lions (actually 3 real ones) on the set, nobody thought about the pig. And it was what attacked him!

I really hope word gets out about this movie. I agree with Tim that the audience is "everyone" and they just don't make movies like that very often. There is so much humor in this movie and Tim did it without offensive, vulgar language or actions. He deserves an award for that alone. I've never seen Dancer, Texas, but he has inspired me to look for it now.

Haley said Texas plays a major role in this movie and really enjoyed his stay here. I'm glad of that since I'm a native Texan! I hope he will be back to Austin someday.

He also said he looked for roles that were "different," as he expected most actors did. A woman who teaches drama in high school asked him what she could tell her students to get them to go see the movie. He suggested she tell them how the characters grow during the course of the story. Tim suggested she tell them it has a lion and sword fighting in it!

Sorry my notes here are kind of disjointed. I am writing all of this as I remember something else. It was a great time and I feel very lucky to have *happened* to see the commercial on TV that mentioned there was the premiere in the first place. I hardly ever watch TV, so it was a miracle that I just happened to see the ad and got tickets.

Go see SHL -- enjoy yourself -- and spread the word!

Best,

Katherine
pazu7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is so cool. Great post. I am going to the Westwood premiere this Thurday. I will probably get some photos and video footage of Haley and the rest of the cast, but I doubt there will be a Q&A. You're very fortunate.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine !!!!

Wow, thanks for the wonderful review and news about the Q&A session ! You really are very fortunate to have been able to see Haley and Tim McCanlies in person and to hear their comments on Second Hand Lions !

The reviews that have been appearing have ranged from bad/lukewarm to good, so I am delighted to hear that you love the movie and will be seeing it again . Thanks for recommending everyone to see it. I myself can hardly wait but it opens in Singapore only in a month's time .

So Haley didn't show too much enthusiasm when talking about the film scripts that he has been looking through, did he ? Oh dear . It does mean that we won't be seeing him in another movie for at least 2 more years, because nothing is in development now. He really is at that awkward age, as a serious actor , where roles will be hard to find. He could go the way of every other teen actor and act in lightweight teen/slapstick comedies, or do the teen slasher type of movie, BUT I am glad that he does not seem inclined to do those !

I remember when Jodie Foster was growing up.... she stopped filming movies for quite some time and concentrated on her university studies, and when she finally made a comeback, she proved to everyone that she had outgrown her kid actor label and became a well-respected oscar-winning dramatic actress AND director as well.

I am expecting greater things from young Haley. But in the meantime, I'm glad that there is Secondhand Lions to enjoy !

Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/

Last edited by danchia on Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pig attacked Haley ?!? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Mr. Green
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
szekeong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danchia wrote:
The pig attacked Haley ?!? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Mr. Green

LOL! Thank goodness the lions did not attack him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine,

More from Texas in this great movie! One Don Walser had two songs on the soundtrack. Can't mistake that voice. Fine him in Austin!

Really enjoyed the movie!

A.G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Second Hand Lions : Talk about the movie ! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: