Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Personal Note from the Webmaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> A Personal Note from the Webmaster regarding Haley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronnievb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He certainly wouldn't have to worry to write that one off. I think one could rob banks with that tank.
Busara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure is one fine-looking car. Very Happy

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Gore recommended it as a simple doable technology that we can all use right now to stop global warming! This is the inconvient truth car and best of all it doesn't discriminate as anyone can operate one without a license! I just hope they come with a bit more leg room in future models.
user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: inconvient truth Reply with quote

I might add seriously,if you haven't seen the film a Inconvient truth everybody should.I was teasing with the car but Gore makes many good point's.Gore is fun to play with sort of the way Carl Sagan was fun to make fun of though everyone loved his series Cosmos.Hopefully the pedal car will not be in our future.
romprime2000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i for one will never give up on him just because he messed up, hes a kid all kids and adults do the wrong thing. iam sticking by him.

onr of his true fans robert a-k-a romprime2000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AllRevvedUp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i for one will never give up on him just because he messed up, hes a kid all kids and adults do the wrong thing. iam sticking by him.

well that's good...so am I of one of his fans who can never give up...
MattXFLexicon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since hearing about the accident in August, I’ve mulled it over and I have a lot to say.

Do I condone his decision to drive on that fateful night? Not at all.

Do I believe this is a sign of another child actor gone bad? Not really, he made a stupid decision like many 18-year-old males or females are capable of doing. It would all depend on if he repeats this mistake in the future. What this has done is that it has taken the sheen off him a little, he’s human, still a teen, and capable of letting his emotions get the best of him.

When I heard that he flipped his Saturn 96 over in a residential area, it didn’t make sense. It takes a great deal, a high speed, to cause a car to lose that much control, therefore something felt amiss. When I heard of the DUI charge, I was disappointed, but not surprised.

My attitude has been to wait and see how Haley responds to the press: this is bound to come up a lot during the publicity for HOTG. As far as the Arrangement is concerned, I doubt he’ll see jail time, he’ll pay a heavy fine, have to do some community service and produce a PSA about not driving drunk.

We can’t see yet how this might play out, if the accident scared him straight, he might become a passionate advocate for not drinking and driving, we don’t know.

To keep things in perspective to his fans, while understandable, blind hero worship is not all that healthy. If you build up an image of someone that’s too idealized, you’re bound to be disappointed in the long run by them. There was something rather wise that musician Bruce Springsteen once said: “Trust the art, not the artist.”

I notice we build up these unreachable expectations with celebrity actors, especially in America. That’s not mineralizing what happened, it is very serious, but it could have been worse, much worse.

The recent accident with Brandy is an example of what could have happened. Thank God, we was alone, he only hurt himself, wrecked his car and damaged some residential property.

In truth, I’m a little annoyed that the press paid scant attention to Haley attending NYU, which is no small feat. It’s a shame the accident overshadowed that.

Anyway, we shall see.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In truth, I’m a little annoyed that the press paid scant attention to Haley attending NYU, which is no small feat. It’s a shame the accident overshadowed that.

Matt, I deeply appreciate everything that you wrote in your post above , and ESPECIALLY the last statement which I have chosen to quote . I absolutely agree with you that the media ignored the news of his attending NYU because the accident overshadowed that. What a pity and what a shame.

I remember when Jodie Foster went to Yale , again I hope my memory does not fail me at this 5 am hour , it was big news , as she put her career , which was at his high point , on hold for this .

The media , however, loves controversy , and Haley's accident just brought out the vultures in them.

Sigh .
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
terabthia2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To keep things in perspective to his fans, while understandable, blind hero worship is not all that healthy. If you build up an image of someone that’s too idealized, you’re bound to be disappointed in the long run by them. There was something rather wise that musician Bruce Springsteen once said: “Trust the art, not the artist.”

I notice we build up these unreachable expectations with celebrity actors, especially in America. That’s not mineralizing what happened, it is very serious, but it could have been worse, much worse.

It's always a delicate balance between idealism and "realism". I posted in the other thread that Haley's "clean cutness" was part of a factor (but certainly not the WHOLE factor) in his appeal to me. He had years of a relatively clean record, nothing "dark" about him at all. This wasn't just accepted blindly but came after years of getting this impression of him. Again, it's always done in the context of knowing that you don't always know what someone is like behind the scenes. So the DUI WAS something of a shock to me. But I never said "oh, it could NEVER happen to Haley!" but I knew darn well it could. I HOPED it wouldn't happen, but it did. Sad But we accept it and move on. Accepting the fact that everyone you look up to will do at least SOMETHING that you don't like/approve of sometimes should be a part of true fandom. After a while, we love our heroes not despite their flaws but because of them. Smile

-Andy
Ariel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about this the other day. I don't know if anyone remembers how, right after the accident, Jim Beaver, from Deadwood, who knows Haley from way back, said, "I would bet my house that Haley is drug- and alcohol-free...I love that kid like my own son." Apparently, he and Haley had been working on a script together, so this was based on a recent impression.

Now, I can imagine that as shocked as we were at the fallout of Haley's accident, it must have been to the tenth power for Jim Beaver. But I would like to think that, since Beaver knows him IRL, he would have valid reasons to continue believing in Haley, once he'd had time to process the news. I have no doubt that he knows people who've done crazy, reckless, stupid, even immoral and illegal things in their youth. He may well be one of them, for that matter.

And I realize that it's a different matter when you're not young yourself and you hear about something like this, and when you know the young person right when it's happening, as opposed to hearing it in an "I can't believe I did that!" anecdote years later. But I'd hope that Mr. Beaver did not cancel the project, did not tell Haley, "I don't want anything more to do with you," and did not condemn him for a terrible, yet human, mistake. A lot of people in Hollywood have been forgiven for transgressions. I see no reason why Haley should not be one of them.

And I mean really no reason. For me, the only thing I could not forgive is a crime against the person. Yes, I know Haley could have had a passenger, or hit a pedestrian or other driver, but he did not, so we don't have to worry about it. What I'm saying is that Haley should be seen as the same person who has repeatedly been described as "a sensible kid...a perfect gentleman...a joy to work with." It should not negate his sterling professional reputation, or overshadow all the times he's been nice to fans and crew members when he was tired or sick or distracted.

I don't think Haley would ever intentionally hurt someone, physically or otherwise. He probably just didn't think, beyond weighing the decision of whether he could get home in one piece. He was 18. When I was 18, I met a guy walking home from the library, and an hour later, I was doing something unladylike with him in a forest. Did I think about the possibility of not coming out of that forest alive? Or getting arrested? No, I thought I could handle whatever happened. Haley probably thought he could handle whatever happened, too: he probably just didn't think he would flip his car. I was right in thinking nothing bad would happen, so I thought of it afterwards as an okay thing. Haley was wrong in thinking nothing bad would happen, and now he knows it was not an okay thing.

I just hope that Jim Beaver, and anyone else who has worked with Haley, is still willing to look at the whole person and not just one incident. I think it just has a lot to do with people first getting to know Haley when he was very young, and still had a clean slate. It's jarring when that person gets older, and their choices are no longer binary, and they stumble. But I don't think it marks Haley as a bad person, and all the time and good will that was spent on him as a waste. The best way to avoid making mistakes is to stay in a rut. Haley can't stay in a rut, if he's going to grow and gain the experience that actors need. The actors who claim so much respect for him should respect his right to experiment and sometimes fail. I sure hope they are.
user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple,young people often do dumb things because they are not adults and haven't learned stupid and careless decisions routinely get people killed or hurt.Haley made the wrong decision but hopefully he learned something from it and realize the big lie particularly popular out where he is toward having a rather flippant attitude toward getting stoned and getting high.I am not disappointed in Haley-I just want to see him grow and be a man which means taking responsability for ones actions and not making excuses for how one's behaviour effects the safety and stability of society....I did something pretty stupid when I was about 16-I recall I drove a car about 90 mph down a road set at 50 mph-fortunately my father heard about it and I lost my privelages for driving for 6 months.My father pretty much told me if I wanted his respect it would have to be earned back after such a stupid act...It took 2 years to do just that...
Trevor H.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Anyway, we shall see.

I'm annoyed too. I was also annoyed with one story that happened at the time of the accident that mentioned Haley's career as a child and then said "since then, he's made a living off of voice over work." It made him sound like another wash-up who hit rock bottom. They basically ignored that Haley was still living happily with his family. He graduated high school with honors and he was headed for college. There's more to life than fame and fortune. Haley always knew that and I never saw him once show a sad face when his stardom cooled off. He still held his head high.

One thing I was happy was when all this year-in-review stuff came around the end of 2006, there was very little mention of Haley. One minor bit was a TV show about the year's biggest shockers and a comedian was questiining whether his DUI bust or driving a Saturn was more embarassing. Otherwise for the most part, the tabloid media was too preoccupied with 'Mel Kampf', Paris, Britney, Lindsay, Nicole, Anna Nicole, and Ku Klux Kramer. However his DUI bust was brought up again when Abigail was nominated for an Oscar and some posted articles saying that a lot of Oscar nominated (or winning) child stars get a hard ride. They didn't just focus on his DUI bust but also how PIF and A.I. didn't live up to box-office expectations. Some things you can't control but the actor still gets blamed anyways.

Anyways why trust the media. They love seeing celebrities at the top hit rock bottom anyways. Let them wallow in their tabloid filth. As Judy Garland once told Liza, "They don't want the facts, they want the drama. Give them the drama."
Ariel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm annoyed too. I was also annoyed with one story that happened at the time of the accident that mentioned Haley's career as a child and then said "since then, he's made a living off of voice over work." It made him sound like another wash-up who hit rock bottom. They basically ignored that Haley was still living happily with his family. He graduated high school with honors and he was headed for college. There's more to life than fame and fortune. Haley always knew that and I never saw him once show a sad face when his stardom cooled off. He still held his head high.

You know? No one seemed to care that he was happy, healthy and productive. All that mattered was whether or not he was a !STAR! at that moment.

In fact, I think it's what you said, about the media/public loving a tragedy, but also them acting as if they own a celebrity. Like Haley, or anyone else, is not allowed to find any happiness or fulfillment that the media/public don't give him. If it doesn't have to do with them fawning, it doesn't count.

Granted, I wouldn't have wanted the media to have made too big a deal about his enrolling at NYU. It woudn't have been fair to the other students, and it might have made Haley's introduction awkward. But jeez, you'd think when he graduated from high school, there could have been a passing mention! Especially since he graduated with honors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> A Personal Note from the Webmaster regarding Haley All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: