Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hogs and Blue Rock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Second Hand Lions : Talk about the movie !
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moflyboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Hogs and Blue Rock Reply with quote

I don't know whether it was accidental or intentional but I found it very heartening to see Garth and Hub shooting Blue Rock (clay targets) over the lake. Few people probably realize that the pitch (binding material) in Blue Rock (clay targets) is toxic to hogs. I was very concerned that the death of the pig from ingesting broken Blue Rock was going to be part of the story. By shooting over the lake, the missed targets and the particles from the hit ones fall harmlessly into the water out of the pig's foraging range. And with their remote location, shot shell pellets ricocheting off the surface of the lake was not a safety issue. Either Tim McCanlies was very lucky or did his technical homework on this part of the film. It would be interesting to know which. But only clay shooters would probably ever notice. Great movie. Even greater story. I hope I can be half the Second Hand Lion for my grandson's Austin and Cooper that Garth and Hub were for Walter. D. Hime, Missouri.
pazu7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's an intersting note that most, like myself, wouldn't know about. Thanks!
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa.... great post, Moflyboy ! That was a really interesting fact you brought up ! I guess in July 1962 , the summer that Walter went to stay with his granduncles, not many people would have realised that the pitch binding the clay targets together was toxic. I guess environmental issues were not a big thing back then !

If Tim McCanlies had really got his research right, kudos to him !!

Oh, and by the way, I'm sure you are a GREAT Secondhand Lion to your grandson ! Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
szekeong

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tim McCanlies knows about that well, because Secondhand Lions is his most personal work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Hogs and Blue Rock Reply with quote

Hi Danchia,

I can tell you from experience that "environmental issues" were NOT on MY mind in 1962. The only thing in this head in '62 was whether I could scrape up $3 to FILL the tank on my hot rod Chevy and whether Judy would go out cruising with me tonight after I embarrassed her in study hall! Ah yes, the good old days... I loved all the "period" vehicles in the movie, too. Man, they were land barges and I loved every ton of them! Envrionmental issues? How much chrome can we import from South Africa? That was our environmental issue back then. Isn't it wonderful how this movie appeals to all ages. There has to be at least a 3.5 decade gap in our ages and we both love it!

Moflyboy
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hogs and Blue Rock Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Danchia,

I can tell you from experience that "environmental issues" were NOT on MY mind in 1962. The only thing in this head in '62 was whether I could scrape up $3 to FILL the tank on my hot rod Chevy and whether Judy would go out cruising with me tonight after I embarrassed her in study hall! Ah yes, the good old days... I loved all the "period" vehicles in the movie, too. Man, they were land barges and I loved every ton of them! Envrionmental issues? How much chrome can we import from South Africa? That was our environmental issue back then. Isn't it wonderful how this movie appeals to all ages. There has to be at least a 3.5 decade gap in our ages and we both love it!

Moflyboy

LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing

You know something, moflyboy? I really enjoyed what you said about your experiences in 1962 ! Someone could probably make a movie based on YOUR life, and it would probably be a wonderfully touching story ! Now THAT's an idea, isn't it ? Smile

You are right in that Secondhand Lions is appealing to many people from all ages, from the early teens to adults like you and me. We're probably not that far apart in age, moflyboy. Me ? I was born in 1962 , which is why this film is that little bit more meaningful to me ! Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Second Hand Lions : Talk about the movie ! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: