Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

interesting questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Second Hand Lions : Talk about the movie !
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan nicholas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: interesting questions Reply with quote

On another SHL discussion board
(http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsdir/reviews/discuss2003.hts?secondhandlions+view)
someone posted two questions which seem to me interesting. That was two months ago and he/she has not had a reply. If anyone here has any thoughts on them, I could post a reply on that site:

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post # 2
Date 9/22/2003 - 12:51 PM
Name: Drive-in
Comments: please help settle a question. did hub and garth commit suicide, or did they have an accident? i vote for suicide, and here's why. the beginning of the movie demonstrated that hub was an accomplished pilot, and would not hit his own barn my mistake. they did not realize walter knew where the money was, so the plane crash helped point the way. neither of them wanted to die of old age, so they went out like men, "with their boots on".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post # 1
Date 9/22/2003 - 12:46 PM
Name: Drive-in
Comments: when walter was hesitent about eating his breakfast of sausage and eggs, had his uncles killed the "pet" pig? or, were the pig and a chicken really looking through a kitchen window? if the pig lived, he was not in the rest of the scenes with the dogs, like he was at the beginning of the movie. "
pazu7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second question could be. I never really paid attention to the pig after the first few scenes. But I think it was a pet.

The first question is based on a misinterpretation of the film. The opening scene takes place just before they crash. The entire film is a flashback in a sense, like "Stand By Me". The plane that gets delivered during the film is the one that they are seen flying at the beginning and the one seen jutting out of the barn door, so Hub was not a good pilot. He had never flown before. Personally, I don't think the characters in the film killed themselves intentionally. They were just a couple of wild old men who didn't wanna to let go of the thrills.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: interesting questions Reply with quote

alan nicholas wrote:

Comments: please help settle a question. did hub and garth commit suicide, or did they have an accident? i vote for suicide, and here's why. the beginning of the movie demonstrated that hub was an accomplished pilot, and would not hit his own barn my mistake. they did not realize walter knew where the money was, so the plane crash helped point the way. neither of them wanted to die of old age, so they went out like men, "with their boots on".

Hmmm, very interesting question, Alan. I've been thinking about this a lot since you posed the question to this message board.

There was a hint during the film itself that Hb McCann may have been thinking of suicide, because he was growing old and he could not accept it. This was why Walter made that tearful plea to him that night by the lake that night, to promise that he would live till Walter was old enough for his uncle to give him that Becoming A Man speech.

However, it was evident as the film went by that Walter's presence in the lives of the 2 old men made a tremendous difference in their lives. It was Walter who made his uncles realise that what was the whole point of having all that money if they didn't spend it and enjoy it. It was his presence in their lives that made them feel young again, to relive all their adventures again. When his mother took him away, they went back to sitting on their porch and wait for hours again for salespeople to scare away. Obviously his uncles had needed Walter as much as he needed them.

So here's what I really think. Walter growing up with his uncles made them live life again, and this was obviously the case as seen in the opening scene of the film. It had taken his uncles years to rebuild and refurbish that old biplane, and as they flew it, they were obviously whooping in childlike delight and relishing the thrill that it brought them.

No, they did not commit suicide, but rather, they died with their boots on, living an adventure, never regretting a minute of it.

Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
swtsarah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...did hub and garth commit suicide, or did they have an accident?

And that is the reason why we're still talking about the film, long after the credits have scrolled up. Wink Cliffhanger endings are the best way to engage the audience in discussion, after all! Cool

As for me... I vote suicide. I feel it fits in with the entire story, much better than a mere accident would. The incident takes places long after Walter has moved away - and almost definitely after Hub has given his "What every boy needs to know about becoming a man" speech - so it's fairly safe to assume that Walter's direct influence on Garth and Hub's lives has diminished. With this said, I think it's rather more in character for the two fiesty old men to go out with a bang - surely the fact that they had their gear on suggests that they had a lot more in mind than a joyride! It's a direct connection to their wild days... days with adrenaline running on high... days overflowing with excitement and danger... days when they'd go out fighting... most importantly, days when they'd exit the scene, together.

So yes, I think they committed suicide. It's the way they'd have wanted to go, and the way they'd have wanted Walter to remember them. Two men who have made the most out of their lives, and, defying the laws of nature, have gone out fighting the inevitable claws of time and age.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, swtsarah ! It's nice to see another familiar name appearing on this forum as well ! Wink

Thanks for your comments. You have a really interesting perspective about the McCann brothers' death.

Well, suicide or not, there's one thing that we all definitely agree about , and that is that the brothers really lived life to the very last breath, and that is what really counts in the end. Smile

Hope to see you posting more often, swtsarah ! Oh and thanks for the nice Tribute to A.I. that you left as well ! Hopefully, Haley and Spielberg and company will be able to see how much we appreciate them for their Art ! Very Happy
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
swtsarah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danchia wrote:
Welcome aboard, swtsarah ! It's nice to see another familiar name appearing on this forum as well ! Wink

And thank you for the warm welcome! It's nice knowing that someone remembers me from another board. Wink

Quote:
...the brothers really lived life to the very last breath, and that is what really counts in the end.

Oh yes - and that's the best philosophy that we can ever hope to live by in life. Cool Personally, I think my personality is parallel to that of the McCann brothers: I want to live a thrilling, exciting, wondrous life, and I definitely want to go out with a bang, not "old and useless", as Hub would say.

P.S. Call me Sarah!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Second Hand Lions : Talk about the movie ! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: