Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AI: an historical journey
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Tribute to A.I.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pazu7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: AI: an historical journey Reply with quote

I just wanted to start a thread for organizing the AI history project. I do not have a working title and the name of the thread is not a good one, but it'll do for now. Everyone who wants to get involved, please post here and we'll share ideas and spilt up duties once we get a working idea of what needs to be done.

OK, this is the way I see it and please, everybody involved, feel free to respond.

The site would be a historical account of the film from the Aldiss book to the screen to the DVD and then to cable and network Television. Each segment would have its own page with links for each relevent cast member, the filmography and short bios. Relevent characters would include people from David and Joe all the way to Sheila and Jane as well as Mr Williamson and little Amanda. Basically anyone with a speaking line. The bio page doesn't have to be huge, just inclusive.

We'd need short bios on people in the effects and art and lighting etc...

Of course we'd start with the page about "Supertoys Last All Summer Long" and how Kubrick decided to make it into a film etc... The page should not be an essay, just sufficiently explanitory to keep people attention. Not something just for hardcore fans, but for everybody. The font and background should be active, eye catching so each page is exciting to look at.

We'll need a lot of background images from the film! So whomever can capture still from the DVD, we need you. We also need images of the people that work behind the scenes, effect's lighting etc...

I can do a lot of the writing and we can share research and compare notes. If anyone knows someone good that would be interested, bring 'em on board.

It would really be great to have a flash intro! I picture the entrance to Rouge City as our opening page, with Der Rosenklavier (sp?) playing in the background! But we can talk about that later.

We need a working title. Not right now, but just write down ideas as we go and we can put them to a vote.

So... who intends to participate?
pazu7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: Fair, I am not trying to steal your idea! I just realized it might look like that. I was looking for a big project that we could all get involved in and a complete image and text history of AI seems like it was a great idea.

If it seems like that would be stepping on your excellent tribute, then I retract my suggestion. No problem! Let me know what you folks are thinking.
Busara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to participate as well.

I'm not much of a writer, so I'd probably best be focussing myself on other tasks such as cast and crew research (cinema-related), and some webdesign in that particular area.

I could dive into the many (both major and less major) characters of the film, get information about the actors from both online and offline sources, and organize them in a separate webpage. We could then later 'plug in' that webpage into the larger overal framework that makes up the main entrance of the project's webpage.

I'll be fine collecting images and pictures, information and other cinema-related details about both cast and crew. The A.I. DVD (along with other DVD's) and many online resources will certainly assist me there.

So, who's next? Smile

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
pazu7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Busara. On the web pages, I would like that the whole site have the same motif, so that when we go from one section to another it doesn't look like different sites. But the info is the important part, so after we compile the info we can sort it onto the appropriate pages. I will make a graph of suggested pages and links design and who ever wants to participate can all vote on the best idea.

I still want to talk to fair sice we are doing a history and he has already done one.

I am going to read Supertoys and then do some reading on Kubricks adaptaion of the tale so I can write a small section on that. That can go in the "where it began" section.

We'll need someone who can make background from DVD images. I might be able to do what using scan from my the AI book I got from the Tokyo premiere. (I wasn't there, a friend sent it to me.)
Busara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pazu, if you'd like I could create some backgrounds using my A.I. DVD. If you have any special backgrounds from the film in mind, and want a bitmap of it, you can let me know. I could also do some image manipulation there, if we want.

I am also planning to read Supertoys. I have been looking for it in various shops here, but without any luck. I guess I need to order it online. If anyone knows a good website to place a quick and reliable order for it, please let me know.

pazu7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Busara. I like the idea of the mouth at Rouge City for the opening, but I already have that image. I think maybe we should start from the ground up and get a diagram of the site first. I will work on that tonight. Hopefully some others will come on board during the week.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pazu and Busara !

Boy , you two sure have been busy while I have been sleeping ! This time zone thingy sure is bothersome ! Laughing

The ideas sound great ! It's going to be quite a challenge coordinating it though, but if we delegate the work properly, I think it will be fine, otherwise there may be a clash in vision.

I agree with Pazu that there must be a consistent motif or look throughout the site , so we'll probably need a master designer who will decide on the basic look and navigation of the site. Busara, do you feel up to the challenge ?

I also think that Pazu should be the master scripter of this site, in that you decide what should be included and what should not. You can delegate others to do the research and the writing of the subsections, but we need one person to visualise what the whole site should be about , to keep the focus right.

I would be glad to host the entire site, so that it has a consistent address, and I will of course help out with the designing wherever I am needed, or with the research.

Comments anyone ?
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
pazu7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan. I agree that we should delegate jobs, but I think we should put ideas to a vote too. The look of the site is very important. Fonts, how the backgrounds appear against the script, links etc...

My text will be explanatory but not elaborate. But we will need more people than this.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left a note on kidactors inviting Fair to join our little project. Very Happy
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
pazu7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to discuss the whole projecct with Fair since he has done a "Journey". We'll have to find a way of not stealing fire from his work.
pazu7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as Fair hasn't responded, maybe we should do something else. It is late and I just got back from a film... well an hour or so ago, so I cannot think clearly right now, but perhaps there is some project we can embark on as a unit besides an historical one. I'll be around tommorrow night.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pazu7 wrote:
Seeing as Fair hasn't responded, maybe we should do something else. It is late and I just got back from a film... well an hour or so ago, so I cannot think clearly right now, but perhaps there is some project we can embark on as a unit besides an historical one. I'll be around tommorrow night.

Let's give it a couple of days more... maybe Fair has been busy....

What film did you see ? Very Happy
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
pazu7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a documentary called The Corporation and everyone on the planet needs to see this film, while we still have a planet. But that is another topic.
Busara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about a couple of things, could anyone please shine some light on these?

1. Is the project actually going to be a new website, as in, on a new domain? danchia mentioned hosting it, and I was just wondering if the project isn't just going to be a sub-site inside comeaway.net? If we (for any reason) are going to host this project as a separate website, on a new domain, I have some opportunities me might want to take advantage of.

2. What is comeaway's main technology? Is it using dynamic php pages, or are the pages (except for the forums) static html pages? Are we going to use static html pages for our project's pages? (that would possibly be easiest for most of us)

3. Does anyone know about a fast and reliable webshop where I can order the Supertoys book?

I agree we should first try and determine the way the project website is navigated. I mean, what areas there are, what menu items, etc. We could then slice the project website into various parts, which we could assign to the people involved.

If we have agreed on the global layout of the project website (I only mean navigation and sub-pages here), we could get going I think. If everyone would create static html pages with no style information included (no colors, no fonts, just plain html stuff), we could add a general stylesheet when we're done. The project website would then get a uniform look.

Aiee. It's getting late again. Need some sleep. Very Happy

danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busara wrote:

Is the project actually going to be a new website, as in, on a new domain? danchia mentioned hosting it, and I was just wondering if the project isn't just going to be a sub-site inside comeaway.net? If we (for any reason) are going to host this project as a separate website, on a new domain, I have some opportunities me might want to take advantage of.

Hi Busara , this project will be a subsite of comeawayohumanchild.net .

Quote:
What is comeaway's main technology? Is it using dynamic php pages, or are the pages (except for the forums) static html pages? Are we going to use static html pages for our project's pages? (that would possibly be easiest for most of us)

Comeaway uses mainly static html pages, but if you know a bit of flash and can use it creatively, we can support that too.

Quote:
Does anyone know about a fast and reliable webshop where I can order the Supertoys book?

I get my books from amazon.com or its branches in other countries.

Quote:
I agree we should first try and determine the way the project website is navigated. I mean, what areas there are, what menu items, etc. We could then slice the project website into various parts, which we could assign to the people involved.

My thoughts exactly ! Smile

Quote:
If we have agreed on the global layout of the project website (I only mean navigation and sub-pages here), we could get going I think. If everyone would create static html pages with no style information included (no colors, no fonts, just plain html stuff), we could add a general stylesheet when we're done. The project website would then get a uniform look.

Let's see how the project goes first in terms of content, then we can decide on how the navigation runs, which to me is extremely important for any site. We can then decide on how we want the site to look . I think we should go for something classy .... Laughing
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Tribute to A.I. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: