Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nobody Knows ( Dare mo shiranai )
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Nobody Knows ( Dare mo shiranai ) Reply with quote

Hi everyone ,

I just saw my first film of 2005 , and I know this one is going to affect me for a very long time .

Nobody Knows ( Dare mo shiranai ) in the Japanese language by director Hirokazu Kore-eda is a heart-wrenching tale of 4 siblings , abandoned suddenly in Tokyo by their mother , and the film documents their survival in an urban jungle .

Kore-eda incorporated documentary techniques to make this film extraordinarily intimate and unaffected. Filmed chronologically over a year, "Nobody Knows" captures the young amateur actors growing as their characters do, highlighting the simple details of the children’s lives , turning the simplest things that the children do into something extraordinarily beautiful.

Even the simple act of eating a bowl of instant noodles becomes a celebration of the joy of life in times of adversity , and one cannot help but be moved by it.

The film tracks the children's devastating physical deterioration as they struggle to survive, but what really moved me deeply was how the children , especially the oldest boy , Akira at 12 years old who had to take over the role of parenting his siblings , manage to hold on to their moral uprightness even as their environment crumbled around them . It was astonishing to see the children deal with the inevitable final tragedy with grace and dignity , and I guarantee that no one will leave the theatre unaffected in some way or other by this film .

14 year old Yagira Yuya won the Best Actor Award at the Cannes Film Festival 2004 , the youngest actor ever to win this award , and he deserves the accolade . There is something so honest and deep about his performance. In the hands of a lesser actor , his character could have become a pitiful one , but Yagira Yuya imbues his role with such tremendous dignity and a sense of heroism that just leaves you respecting his character so much .

Nobody Knows is a very gentle and quiet film , almost slow moving, but tremendously engaging and character-driven . Director Hirokazu Kore-eda has a wonderful visual flair , and has filled each scene in the film with little details which add so much to the story . This is a film which will bear repeated viewing , but most of all , it is a film with heart , and I cannot recommend it enough.

Do see it if you have the chance to.....

http://www.lhp.com.sg/nobodyknows/

http://www.ifcfilms.com/ifcfilms?CAT0=3127&CAT1=6106&SHID=22784&AID=9432&CLR=red&BCLR=
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
Busara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for that recommendation Daniel. That really sounds like a movie that leaves a permanent mark. As you know I´m very much into films that are deeply affecting, and this certainly sounds like one.

I really enjoyed reading your post, and I will absolutely make sure to try and view/find the film.

Oddly enough, the film will have its premiere here in April 2005. It might take a long time before I can see it in theatres, thus. But perhaps I could buy a copy on DVD? It has been playing in the USA for a while now, and the film is over half a year old now. I have not yet spotted a DVD release yet. If you have any suggestion where I could buy a DVD that would be most welcome. In any case, I have it permantly on my 'must see' list.

Thanks again for this review. I really love it! Smile

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Busara !

Thanks so much for your response. I'm glad you are going to try to catch this film , I think that you are going to be very deeply moved by it .

As far as I know, it has not been released anywhere on DVD yet , not even in Japan . I know for a fact that a local DVD company in Singapore has already bought the rights to releasing the film on DVD in Singapore soon, so I'll let you know as soon as it is released. I'll send you a copy ! Can your DVD player handle Region 3 DVDs ?

Anyway, here's an article that I found on Yagira Yuya , the film's main actor .

By Richard Corliss
Posted Monday, October 4, 2004; 21:00 HKT

He's your typical all-Japanese boy, which means he loves all things Western: Will Smith and Avril Lavigne, baseball and soccer. His favorite school subject is English. "I will definitely try hard to be able to speak it," the 14-year-old says. But he's not proud of his grades. He calls them "bad."

If Yuuya Yagira has been distracted at his suburban Tokyo junior high school, he can be forgiven. He spent two weeks of each season last year making his film debut in Hirokazu Kore-eda's Nobody Knows. In May he took more time off to visit France—and to walk up the legendary red-carpeted steps at the Cannes Film Festival. He had to be back home for midterm exams, so he wasn't on the Riviera when jury president Quentin Tarantino jubilantly announced that the festival's best actor was "Yagiraaaa Yuuyaaaa!"

Back in Japan Yagira was instantly on magazine covers and talk shows. He was the youngest-ever winner of a commendation certificate from the Culture Ministry for his contribution to the arts. When Real Madrid paid a visit, the soccer-mad kid was invited to meet David Beckham and other stars. But Yagira is one too: on Tokyo's streets people elbow in to shake his hand or take a photo.

In Nobody Knows, as Akira, the eldest of four children abandoned by their irresponsible mother, Yagira shows amazing poise and gravity. It doesn't hurt that he's beautiful; the camera practically licks his face. "It was 'casting at first sight,'" Kore-eda recalls. The director didn't give his child actors a script; he whispered the dialogue to them. He was impressed that Yagira "took on the role of a leader of the other kids even in his free time." The film was a maturing experience for the boy: he grew 20 centimeters, and his voice changed. He also acted maturely: "I thought I had to take things seriously and not cause any trouble to other people."

Kore-eda says of Nobody Knows: "I wanted to show that, like in the real world, neither heroes nor demons exist." But Yagira thinks Akira is a hero. And how does he define it? "My image of a hero is that when a girlfriend is surrounded with bad guys, he protects her. But before I can become a hero, I have to have a girlfriend. An old-fashioned girl—a girl who doesn't dye her hair blonde. So, I will get a girlfriend soon, and I will definitely protect her."

Yagira is sounding less like a kid and more like a man with a plan.

Reported by Michiko Toyama/Tokyo

www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Review from NETFLIX : Reply with quote

WARNING : SPOILERS

"Home Alone"
December 18, 2004

Japanese director Hirokazu Koreeda has built somewhat of a cult reputation for off centre, documentary-like dramas, such as his Heaven-set "After Life" and the Dogme style "Distance", which starred Tadanobu Asano. Although his films have received a considerable amount of critical praise and award nominations, they are neither particularly well known nor indeed accessible, generally being slow and ponderous, with a minimalist approach that is likely to alienate casual or impatient viewers.

"Nobody Knows" is Koreeda's latest and probably best film, and one of the few to have won itself a tour of the global art house cinema circuit. The film arrives on the back of an impressive critical reception in its native Japan, as well as a Cannes win for Best Actor and Golden Palm nomination. Despite this relatively high profile, the film is still very much in the vein of the director's previous works, and as such is unlikely to appeal to viewers who have difficultly committing themselves to an unstructured film which is long and lacking in any form of traditional excitement. However, for Koreeda fans, "Nobody Knows" is an excellent film; brave, fascinating, heartbreaking, and sad, the film sees the director streamlining and refining his approach to produce what may well prove to be his masterwork.

"Nobody Knows" has a premise, rather than a plot, a fact which is likely to start alarm bells ringing in the mind of the average cinemagoer. Based on a real case (though a message at the start of the film points out that the precise details are fictional), the film starts as a young mother and her son move into a tiny apartment in Tokyo, carrying with them several large cases. Once the doors are safely closed, they open the cases, and out pop the rest of the children. Unfortunately, the mother (played by oddly named actress You, who was featured in the wacky "Matthew's Best Hit TV" program seen in "Lost in Translation") soon takes flight, sending the children only occasional funds, but otherwise abandoning them to survive as best they can.

The responsibility for keeping the family together, and indeed alive, falls upon the eldest, 12-year old Akira (Yuya Yagira), who struggles to put food on the table and hide his siblings from the eyes of the landlord. As time passes, the children gradually revert to an almost feral state, and it becomes painfully obvious that tragedy cannot be far away.

The film generally moves along in an almost dreamlike fashion, with only a handful of events driving the narrative. Through this, Koreeda allows the viewer to experience life in a manner similar to the children, as essential daily tasks vie for attention with video games and junk food. The film is shot on digital hand held camera, and without any kind of visual trickery or style. This approach, whilst often dragging the pace of the film to a crawl, is very realistic, and gives the proceedings the feel of a documentary. It is most effective when outside events suddenly intrude or are casually mentioned, such as final demand electrical and water bills. Since the younger children are blissfully unaware of what these things mean, and Akira has no real way of handling them, there is a growing tension, which makes the film a harrowing and often depressing experience.

Koreeda never milks the situation for cheap sentiment, even treating the mother's departure in a merely cursory manner. This works very well, and actually makes the film sadder, as the viewer comes to care for the children in a gentle, unforced way. Although there are a few moments of laughter and amusing scenes of childish inventiveness, the film generally heads in a downward spiral, slowly yet inexorably moving towards an emotionally wrenching conclusion.

The most impressive aspect of "Nobody Knows" is undoubtedly the acting. Apart from You as the mother, Koreeda chose a group of first time actors to play the children, and all are disarmingly convincing. There is quite obviously a great deal of improvisation on display, which adds to the film's realism and sense that we are being given a genuine insight into these children's struggles. Yuya Yagira well deserved his Cannes award (over such competition as the star of "Oldboy"), with a truly astonishing performance that shows emotional range, perfectly capturing the torment of a boy forced to take on such a crushing and impossible responsibility.

Although there is obviously much to admire about "Nobody Knows", it is fair to say that the film has its faults, primarily the slow pace. Coming in at nearly two and a half hours, the film is overlong, and certainly drags during the middle. Koreeda has an incredible eye for detail, though the downside to this is that he spends a great deal of time cataloguing mundane events, and whilst this certainly makes the film realistic, it at times also makes it boring. Whilst the filmmaking technique no doubt reflects the children's situation and feelings quite accurately, it is questionable whether viewers would wish to subject themselves to a similar ordeal.

The minimalist approach may also deter some viewers, as the film mostly takes place in one room, and has little in the way of visual trappings. Although Koreeda does make full use out of the sparse locations, and plays the inherent claustrophobic nature of this to full effect, again this at times does make parts of the film seem somewhat superfluous and in need of tighter editing.

At the end of the day, these factors neatly sum up "Nobody Knows", as some viewers will find them fascinating and brave moves, whilst others will simply scratch their heads and yawn with boredom. However, for those with patience, the film comes with a high recommendation as a grueling yet fascinating and painfully realistic experience. Whether or not its success will serve to take the director's works to a wider audience remains to be seen, but for his fans the film is likely to be seen as a landmark.

http://www.nixflix.com/reviews/nobodyknows.htm
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Busara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's great! I skillfully avoided the spoiler section though, hehe.

Quote:
I know for a fact that a local DVD company in Singapore has already bought the rights to releasing the film on DVD in Singapore soon, so I'll let you know as soon as it is released. I'll send you a copy ! Can your DVD player handle Region 3 DVDs ?

It should be able to handle them, yes. It's a very handy player. I had to get a multi-region player because Empire of the Sun still isn't available in our European region 2 format.

I am wondering, do you think English subtitles would be available on the Nobody Knows DVD? I think I'd need subtitles. Smile

Oh, and please post your review on my poppedcorn website if you'd like. It would be a really great addition. Smile

danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busara wrote:
Wow, that's great! I skillfully avoided the spoiler section though, hehe.

heh heh Wink

Quote:
I am wondering, do you think English subtitles would be available on the Nobody Knows DVD? I think I'd need subtitles. Smile

The DVD released in Singapore will DEFINITELY have English subtitles. I'll get you a copy as soon as it is released.

Oh , by the way, I just watched the specially released Making Of Nobody Knows DVD... it is completely in Japanese with no english subtitles, but the raw emotion on the screen transcended the language barrier.

Young Yuya Yagira burst in tears, sobbing uncontrollably on the last day of filming , when the director presented him with the traditional bouquet of flowers and thanked him . As Yuya Yagira said goodbye to his fellow cast and crew, emotions overwhelmed him and he could not stop sobbing.

It was truly heartrending to see that real life scene. After spending a year with the cast and crew , with all that pent up emotion that had been asked of him , I guess it overwhelmed him and he found it hard to say goodbye .

He was , after all, only 12 or 13 years old then. An amazing young actor ....

Quote:
Oh, and please post your review on my poppedcorn website if you'd like. It would be a really great addition. Smile

Oooh ... yes, I was thinking of your website and was meaning to ask you for the URL again. You know, the pc crash wiped out all that information, sigh.

I'll go over to your website tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks for the invitation ! Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the film a second time..... oh man..... seeing details in the film I missed the first time around left left me with as achingly heartrending an experience as I had the first time I saw the film.

I think I'm going to need a few more days to recover.....
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Busara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I'm going to need a few more days to recover.....

That good huh? Smile

Films that have such an effect on viewers are indeed great. During the last two weeks, I've seen a couple of films that also put me in Hibernation/Recovering mode. The highlights:

Der Untergang
A tough film to watch, due to the obvious content. Still it's a film that should absolutely be seen - it's important.

The Iron Giant
Yes. I saw it *again*. Souls don't die. Wow. And the film's final is absolutely heartbreaking, even after so many viewings. Wonderful music, too.

And there's so much more affecting films... But I won't annoy everyone by naming them all. My list is long. Wink

Mc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Hint Reply with quote

Nobody knows will be shown on the IFFR, so all dutchies here, you can go see it. For the rest of us: Movies will also be available via the internet. Link for more info: http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/nl/schedule/01-28.html

Hope this info is of any help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that update Mc!

I probably won't be able to go there myself, but it's great to see that this film is being shown. Film Festivals are always fanastic.

I'm surely going to keep an eye on DVD availability. Smile

michealangelo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see this movie, I saw the beautiful childrens world

...without notice how hard this family are struggle to the end. Sad ..

It's was a slow moving story that would make your heart inside this children need. Very Happy

nothing much to say but it's very recommended movie Surprised

verdict; 4/5
Busara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay! My order finally arrived. Dare mo shiranai on DVD, in my collection, finally! Smile

Region 2 users can get the DVD for a nice price right here by the way. Mc, xekk? Smile

Daniel's review and Michealangelo's comment certainly made me want to finally see this film. Thanks again for the recommendation, and I shall let you know my thoughts about the film shortly after having seen it.

Can't wait. Smile

Mc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Region 2 users can get the DVD for a nice price right here by the way. Mc, xekk?

I have taped the movie some time ago and hope to watch it soon, just haven't had the time yet.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: