Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hearts in Atlantis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Hearts in Atlantis Reply with quote

I wonder how many of you on this message board have seen Hearts In Atlantis ? Released in 2001 , the same year that A.I. had its theatrical release , Hearts in Atlantis sharply divided the critics into 2 camps , those who loved it, and those who didn't . It had a rating of 51% at http://www.rottentomatoes.com , with 65 good reviews as opposed to 63 bad reviews . I myself did not go to the theatrical screening of the film .

4 years on, I just had the privilege of seeing the film on DVD , and I must say that I really liked it .

Told mostly as a flashback, the story is about a fatherless 11 year old boy's last summer as a child , and is a warm, rich film about growing up in an imperfect world and friendships that, while perhaps ill-fated and short-lived, greatly enrich the people lucky enough to be part of them.

The film reminded me much of The Wonder Years , the tv series set in the lates 60s which was so rich in Americana , and Hearts In Atlantis has that wonderful kind of nostalgia to it. Halfway through the film , it does take on an X-files or Twilight Zone edge to it ( I won't say more because it would be a spoiler ) , after all it is based on a Stephen King novel , but director Scott Hicks pulls it off without missing a beat.

The film stars Anthony Hopkins as an eccentric stranger who comes into the life of 11 year old Bobby Garfield , played by newcomer Anton Yelchin . Both veteren and young actor have a wonderful chemistry onscreen . Despite his vastly greater skill and experience, Hopkins never shows up Yelchin, with whom he shares many scenes. Yelchin is absolutely believable as a boy on the cusp of growing up, struggling with the loss of his father and trying to find his way in the world .

Beautifully photographed in warm , rich , sun-drenched tones and deep contrasts , Hearts in Atlantis is a stunning film to look at, but more importantly, it is a film that reminds us of precious lessons we learned in our own childhood , of the value of friendship , the importance of trust , and the poignancy of dreams lost and found again .

A wonderful little film that I would recommend highly !

http://www.comeawayohumanchild.net/internetstore.htm

www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, this film inadvertently showcases how global the filmmaking process is these days. Even though the story is rooted in America, the director (Scott Hicks) and producer (Kerry Heysen) are Australian (and Scott was born in Africa), the leading stars are played by a British born veteran actor (Anthony Hopkins) and Russian born child (Anton Yelchin), the cinematographer is Polish (Piotr Soscinski) and the composer of the musical score (Mychael Danna) is Canadian.

How interesting this bit of trivia is ! Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Hearts in Atlantis : The Trailer Reply with quote

Check out the Hearts In Atlantis Trailer :

http://www.comeawayohumanchild.net/recommendedfilms/Hearts%20In%20Atlantis/HIAtrailer_hi.mov

If you haven't seen this heartwarming film yet, try to get a copy of the DVD soon ! You can get one from the Comeaway Internet Store :

http://www.comeawayohumanchild.net/internetstore.htm
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Mc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen caps are beautuful, and i like Anthony Hopkins a lot.
It's worth a try!

Thanks for pointing this movie out danchia.

Mc

Ps. I must say i've had this movie in my hands quite a lot of times when i was in the store, never really knowing wether to buy it or not, but i'm sure now, this one is the next on my 'wanted' list!
Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Mc ..... do post your review here when you finally get to watch it. Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Busara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally I have purchased this DVD as well! I'm going to see it tonight, and let you know my thoughts tomorrow.

Haha. Like Mc I've held this film in my hands multiple times in the stores, but never ended up buying it. I feel stupid about that. Can't wait to see the film! Smile

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
Busara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my home-theatre presentation of Hearts in Atlantis.

I loved just about every minute of it. The film was very moving. And as I'm sure it was made to do, it also gave me direct access to my childhood. That alone, to me, is worth the price of the DVD.

Anthony Hopkins was great, and certainly equally powerful and believable was Anton Yelchin. This kid was able to really move me. An excellent cast throughout the film. Also, I was really surprised by the score. I had actually never really heard of Mychael Danna, but the film's music was excellent. Pretty amazing!

Interestingly I just found out Anton Yelchin also appeared in Spielberg's "Taken", which I also loved. I thought I recognized the kid when seeing Hearts in Atlantis, and he indeed played Jacob Clarke in Spielberg's tv series. Smile

Many thanks for having recommended it Danchia. This film certainly joins my favourite films corner! Smile

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad that you enjoyed it so much, Busara ! I really love this film too !

I'm at work now, but reading your post brought back all the deep emotions I felt as I watched the film , especially the feelings I had right at the end .

Oh boy, now I think I'll have to watch it again soon.... Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: