Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005) Reply with quote

I have been looking forward to seeing this film, and finally I've had the chance. And it didn't disappoint, as opposed to certain other films I've been looking forward to these recent months. More about those later.

Zathura is excellent fun, but it doesn't forget to pack a heartwarming message with it as it moves along.Having been marketed slightly as a 'follow-up to the classic Jumanji', Zathura does indeed involve a game that kids are playing and plunges them into adventure and peril. While I didn't think too highly about Jumanji - mainly because I felt it was rather flat and too much focussed on thrills - Zathura was actually moving and fun at the same time.

The two kids, Jonah Bobo (from Around the Bend, which I loved) and Josh Hutcherson (related to the also cool The Polar Express), are wonderful as the two brothers in the film. They really do an excellent job and are a true joy to view on the screen. They are believable and give a fun and probably realistic view (I do not have any brothers or sisters so I'm relying on instinct here) of how it must be to be growing up together. Both story and their performances add some really moving moments in the film, which also contains a lot of fun and adventure.

Zathura thus is not just plain action, adventure and fun, but packs a nice story as well. There's even a pretty clever twist that might move you (it certainly moved me, I have to say).

Zathura is a wonderful film, and I highly recommended it to guys. You'll very much enjoy or perhaps even love it. Smile

ps: for those who like, the official movie website contains some fun flash games that you might enjoy. Smile

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
pazu7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a fun DVD. I really enjoyed Jonah Bobo in Around The Bend.
michealangelo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does it compare with Jumanji ?
Busara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both movies have kids playing a boardgame to start and finish an adventure.

A difference is that Zathura has a scifi setting, and it felt more emotional to me during important scenes. To me Zathura was definitely more heartwarming.

lynxcat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the DVD for sale in one of the truck stops I was in a few days ago... I was wondering what it was. Sounds like a good movie. I'll have to get it, though I think I'll wait till I get home. Truck stop movies are way overpriced!!
user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

I wanted to see this film but couldn't believe it only played about 2 weeks before it was gone so I missed it.It got very little attention and I was curious to know what the rest of you thought of it and if it is worth buying or not.
Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Zathura a while ago, it was very enjoyable and lots and lots more fun than Jumanji in my opinion. I loved the acting of the two boys and the cameo by Tim Robbins was fun as well. Absolutely a good feel-good movie with some action packed into it.
user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: GOT IT Reply with quote

Wow,what a fun ride! I got my copy today.Loved the extras on the dvd.
Busara

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, glad you liked the film user! Smile Zathura felt like a truly worthy 'sequel' to Jumanji indeed. Quiete unlike the original film, Zathura actually felt like it had a story to tell as well, which I liked. Both entertaining and fun, this movie - with some great sci-fi visual effects as well. I'm happy you liked it. Smile

user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: GREAT FILM Reply with quote

Beyond the effects,and the story line there was some great messages in the film as well and some great suprises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: