Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A.I. revisited
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Tribute to A.I.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Real Emoticons! Reply with quote

Spielzeug wrote:
I am gonna get another copy from eBay and watch it again with another friend. I have given away copies of this classic ADULT fairy tale but need to connect "Real Emotions" with someone watching it with me.
I get teary-eyed in the scene where Hobby mourns - pines - for his dead son, in whose image David was created. That tracking shot across the professor's desk with the music.... gets me (as a father of sons) EVERY time!

Beautifully said, Spielzeug , it gets me every time too !

Oh and hey, WELCOME to the board ! Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, welcome to the site Spielzeug. I am reliving the film by doing the audiobook right now, but I have made it a point notto watch the film until I am finished...nless I need to steal a sound effect or something. But I will definitely have an AI viewing day after I am finished!

C'ya round.
pazu7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops... not logged in again! That last post was me!
JQK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is precisely the problem with AI, speaking for myself. It is extremely over the top when sentimentality is concerned. Much as I like to, I try to avoid anything to do with it if I have a big day ahead or things like that. Goodness, the soundtrack alone....the music is enough to make you feel it. Watching it immobilizes me like the first time I saw it. Excellent for Fridays, but I would not recommend it for weekdays. No way man, not especially if you have a busy day of clinics, eh Daniel? Very Happy Laughing

I truly agree, the panning shot with the photos and Prof. Hobby is good. It looked as if he lost his ONLY child, to make matters worse. Ouch! You could see him suppress the desire to embrace the mecha when he showed up at the tower in Manhatten. He had so much to suppress...cos this one is not his son back from the dead.

Sometimes you just wonder............how would it be if he said: [...but you ARE a real boy..] and left it at that. Without continuing with [...at least as real as I have ever made one..etc. ]
pazu7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am self-employed so I can spend my entire work day by myself, a fact I was truley grateful for immediately after seeing AI. Actually the emotional reaction didn;'t happen til after the second viewing, but if I had worked for someone else, I would have called in sick for at least three or four days after that viewing. I was on an emotional ledge for at least a month but for the first week I was completely destablized. I saw the film 12 times in the first two weeks. I was fascenated, obsessed,

But I think the reaction is a personal thing. It depends on your state of mind and life experience. AI's depth is unquestionable, but the emotional reaction in me was due to the events in my life which it resonated with and I can't expect other people to necessarily make those kinds of connections. I always feel silly when I say it but the film was in a real sense a 'life altering' event for me... or a least a conciousness raising event which in the longrun is the same.

I always said at SKG that I don't think the things that made AI such an 'event' for me could have been planned. I think it was a combination of subject, music, empathy with HJO's character and my own life experience. It was just a case of high resonance. But even outside of that it is a truley excellent film. GP rejection does not detract from it at all; the GP usually goes for loud and sexy anyway... too much quiet time makes them think and in American at least, that's when rating go down the drain. So in a way poor box office is a compliment. lol
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pazu7 wrote:
GP rejection does not detract from it at all; the GP usually goes for loud and sexy anyway... too much quiet time makes them think and in American at least, that's when rating go down the drain. So in a way poor box office is a compliment. lol

Hey pazu,

I really liked what you just said. I never thought of it that way. There's been this resentment bottled up inside of me for the past 2 years that A.I. had not done better at the box office, probably hurting its chances of the many Academy Awards it should have garnered, but your putting the box office this way sort of puts it all in perspective.

Thanks, I almost feel like I can achieve closure now..... Wink
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JQK wrote:
This is precisely the problem with AI, speaking for myself. It is extremely over the top when sentimentality is concerned. Much as I like to, I try to avoid anything to do with it if I have a big day ahead or things like that. Goodness, the soundtrack alone....the music is enough to make you feel it. Watching it immobilizes me like the first time I saw it. Excellent for Fridays, but I would not recommend it for weekdays. No way man, not especially if you have a busy day of clinics, eh Daniel? Very Happy Laughing

Tell me about it, JQK. I was having a slow day at the clinic today, so I thought that I would work on the new A Boy Called Haley section today. I needed some pictures for the filmography section, so I popped my A.I. DVD into my pc and started watching the Abandonment scene again for some screen captures. I was just casually scanning through it with the volume OFF , yet I ended up feeling all rotten and devastated again watching the incredible performances by Haley Joel Osment and Frances O'Conner.

THEN, my patients turned up !

Boy.... it was hard.... Wink
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
JQK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness gracious! You actually try to do the A Boy named Haley section with the abandonment scene rolling. It will be tough not to feel rotten after that. I mean, Frances dd it really really well. She showed that she was really, and I mean REALLY, hurtin' so bad. And Haley, oh my goodness.............how did he whine like that on cue? It is okay in real life, if that happened to him; but on cue, on set, to be able to whine like that is simply too good. What accompanied the whining were all the signs of extreme distress. How did he achieve that on set? On cue??

quoting Monica: Oh My God, he is sooooo real!

Daniel, so your patients showed up after the viewing....did they guess something was up? Laughing Very Happy
Jo-Ann

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this "the" Spielzeug who's in the house? The SKG Spielzeug???!!!

Woohoo!!!

I need to watch A.I. again. It's been too long.
romprime2000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey iam a man and i will tell you one thing!!! i crying my eyes out in this mouie and laughing at the funny part iam still the big tall man justa softie to when it comes to a.i. this movie touchs me it shows how we as humans can be how we feel about love for one another with this story it was a robot boy and his human mother. and he sets off with his new found friends teddy and gigolo joe off on a journey to find the blue fairy.this movie. truly touched my heart and to this day is one of my favorite movies of all times

romprime2000 a-k-a robert...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
romprime2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello daniel hello. and hey if anybody says its wrong to cry a little well isnt a man at all iwill be the first to say it iam a softie a litlle he he and when i first watch a.i. i was glued to the screen. and i never had a movie like a.i. touch me like this one has. its a classic yes but i still love to watch this movie even if no one want to watch it with me i will. a.i. is truly one of the best movies ive seen in a longtime.

robert a-k-a romprime2000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lynxcat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya!!! Laughing I must have watched it a dozen times and it still brings tears to my eyes. I don't know if I could watch it with someone that wasn't moved by A.I. like I was. Embarassed
Rising Sun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

at last I found place where YOU discuss about the A.I. movie as I do.

I watched that movie only 3 times.
First - don't remember (I even slept)
Second - after my daughter came to world (at the END of movie, I gave up...)
Third - two months ago (as you can see I'm here, this film is still in my head)

All emotions and thoughts are the same. All these desciption (I found in that forum) are already known to me:
*I get teary-eyed...
*I would have called in sick for at least three or four days after that viewing
*Movie touchs me...
*...its wrong to cry a little?...
*I watched it a dozen times and it still brings tears to my eyes...

That movie showed me who I'm - at last.
I can cry, I can love, I'm sentimental (I have never thought about that)...
All that power what you get from film, floods/fills every empty* piece of soul - that feeling is incredable.

*empty pieces of soul I call our material values which take the bigest part in our life.

In that movie I can't found any material values to be heighten.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rising Sun wrote:
Hello,

at last I found place where YOU discuss about the A.I. movie as I do.

I watched that movie only 3 times.
First - don't remember (I even slept)
Second - after my daughter came to world (at the END of movie, I gave up...)
Third - two months ago (as you can see I'm here, this film is still in my head)

All emotions and thoughts are the same. All these desciption (I found in that forum) are already known to me:
*I get teary-eyed...
*I would have called in sick for at least three or four days after that viewing
*Movie touchs me...
*...its wrong to cry a little?...
*I watched it a dozen times and it still brings tears to my eyes...

That movie showed me who I'm - at last.
I can cry, I can love, I'm sentimental (I have never thought about that)...
All that power what you get from film, floods/fills every empty* piece of soul - that feeling is incredable.

*empty pieces of soul I call our material values which take the bigest part in our life.

In that movie I can't found any material values to be heighten.

Wow... Rising Sun .... that was beautifully said. I know EXACTLY how you feel, because that's how I've felt about A.I. since 2001 ! I also know that many who are , or were, on this board have felt like you do too.

What always, always heartens me is how A.I. has managed to transcend language and cultures, from USA to Singapore, from Netherlands to UK, from Malaysia to Lithuania, and has managed to touch so many people in much the same way. I am also always encouraged by how it drives people to search out others who have been similarly touched. It was that way in the initial years when A.I. fans from all over managed to find their way to the dreamworksfansite, and now, many are finding their way to this forum as well.

There are not too many who still post at this forum, Rising Sun, but I still keep in touch with many of them by email, and although we don't discuss A.I. as much as we did before, those old feelings are still there, deep down. Smile

Thanks for finding your way here, and I welcome you warmly to the Comeaway Forum.

Keep in touch ! Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rising Sun, if you haven't already visited our main website, do go over there now.

Don't miss my interview with Haley Joel Osment about A.I. It's a very special film to him, and he remembers his days of filming it fondly. He is also very grateful to his fans who have since A.I. been extremely supportive of his career Smile

http://www.comeawayohumanchild.net/
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Tribute to A.I. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: