Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Personal Note from the Webmaster
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> A Personal Note from the Webmaster regarding Haley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: A Personal Note from the Webmaster Reply with quote

By now, you would have heard the news that Haley Joel Osment has been charged with a few counts of misdemeanor , including driving under the influence of alcohol, resulting in his car crash , and of possession of marijuana . There will no doubt be heated debate about this, not only in the media, but among fans as well.

As a fan of Haley Joel Osment since his seminal performance in A.I. Artificial Intelligence in 2001, and as webmaster of this website and other Tribute sites to Haley in the Comeaway group, the question now is how I should respond to this news about Haley.

After much soul-searching and thought , I would like to make this personal statement, which I hope that my fellow Haley fans will take time to read and ponder over.

I do not condone Haley’s actions resulting in his car crash . I do not condone either his driving under the influence of alcohol, nor do I condone his possession, or possible use of, marijuana . However , as his fan of many years, I am not going to desert him now, not in this moment of his great need. He is only 18 years old, barely an adult, and he has made a huge mistake in his life . If any of my personal friends were to make the same mistake, I would continue to stand by them, to support them, and to help in whatever way I can to get them back on their feet, rehabilitated, and ready to move on with their lives. Why should it be any different with Haley ?

As an 18 year old living and working in Hollywood, Haley must be faced with tremendous temptations , and unfortunately, he has made some wrong choices . Who are we to judge him ? There is a wise saying that goes , “ Let him that is without sin cast the first stone “ ( paraphrased ) . The point I am trying to make is that we have all made mistakes in our own lives, whether big or small , so what right do we have to condemn a person just because he has made the mistake ?

To me, apart from this mistake that Haley has made, he is no different from the person that I have known and supported all these years. He is still a phenomenal actor, one of the best young actors the world has ever known , respected and always well spoken off by his peers in the industry, including luminaries such as Steven Spielberg, Robert Duvall and Michael Caine. His charitable heart is well known , and he has always shown kindness and compassion to those who are in need . Haley still remains a loving and filial son , always respectful towards his parents, and the Osments are as close knit as a family as they always have been.

The next few weeks and months are going to be difficult ones for Haley, as he learns from his mistakes and moves on with his life . I believe that this incident will make Haley a stronger and better person . I may not condone what he has done, but I will not condemn him as a person, as a friend.

I remain as loyal a supporter and a fan of Haley as ever , and I hope that many of you will do likewise . Let’s continue to look forward to the release of Home of the Giants , which I believe will be a great film , and a worthy addition to Haley’s amazing filmography. Most of all, let’s all look forward to Haley getting back on his feet again , drug free and alcohol free , and moving on in his life, his university education and in his career .

Haley, we wish you well , and we are standing with you in support and in prayer. Take care ….
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
Busara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By now I've learned about the situation as well, and I have a few thoughts on this. First though, I'm with Danchia regarding continuing support of Haley and his carreer. I will not abandon my love for his existing work in life and cinema because of what has been published today, nor will I stop following his further carreer with great interest.

We have all been exploring the things in life, and I am fine with Haley doing what he likes to do, but I must say I'm disappointed if he indeed combined this with driving.

We all make mistakes, and I am not going to judge anyone. While I'm sure the media will "cast their stones", I will not cast mine. I admire what Haley has done in life and film, and remain a true and loyal fan.

Take care Haley.

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
Ariel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The next few weeks and months are going to be difficult ones for Haley, as he learns from his mistakes and moves on with his life . I believe that this incident will make Haley a stronger and better person . I may not condone what he has done, but I will not condemn him as a person, as a friend.

Well said, Dan.

I'm not willing to condemn him based on this one incident. I don't think it calls everything else he's ever done into question. Haley has always been a true professional when working, and a true gentleman in public, and if he acts like a typical teen, rather than an exemplary one, behind closed doors, that was and still is none of my business. I am sorry that he used judgment poor enough that what he does in private became everyone's business, but it doesn't negate all the times when his behavior was beyond reproach. So I don't see this as equaling "bad person" or "another failed child star" as so many are doing. I see it as a teenager who made a mistake.
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not willing to condemn him based on this one incident. I don't think it calls everything else he's ever done into question. Haley has always been a true professional when working, and a true gentleman in public, and if he acts like a typical teen, rather than an exemplary one, behind closed doors, that was and still is none of my business. I am sorry that he used judgment poor enough that what he does in private became everyone's business, but it doesn't negate all the times when his behavior was beyond reproach. So I don't see this as equaling "bad person" or "another failed child star" as so many are doing. I see it as a teenager who made a mistake.

I agree with you absolutely , ariel .... I could not have said it better myself . Thanks for your support , and thanks too, busara....
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
haley4evr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, you can't judge someone for one incident, if we did everyone in the world would be hated by a lot of pople. I will still be a huge haley fan and I don't care what other people think! I know kids at school will have some smart-alike remarks abut it today, but I don't care. I will stick by haley! I just hope that he learns a lesson from all this and that he will make better choices! I was disappointed, I'll admit it, but I had to remind myself that he is human and he does make mistakes!!
user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a person who has worked as a probation and parole officer for over 16 years I will add this-the only true judge to anyone's charcter is three things 1) Can they and will they admit to wrong behaviour when they have done wrong? 2)Will they take responsability for the behaviour and try to fix and correct any harm from the incident? 3) Are they of the character not to repeat the wrong behaviour again? On this hangs the whole question and indeed it is too soon to make a final judgement but not a judgement.We all make judgements every day about people so the idea we shouldn't judge people is a bit silly of a notion...however,it is a judgement against ourselves if we are not willing to take some risk with others even at a certain risk to ourselves to give people a second,third,fourth chance often times before they can get it right.It is my hope that Haley does indeed "get it right" at a personal level as he has already been such a inspiration to so many people at many other levels.Haley is 18 years old now and that is still relatively young so the best thing is to see how he does over the coming months and withhold any final determination of where he is going until some time has passed.I typically work with people in the age of 16 to 26 years old so this is truly a period of seeing if people can grow into responsable adults or remain adolescents their entire life.
Ronnievb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not know how to react to this news, it really came as a shock. I was really sure Haley wouldn't drive under influence of any illegal substance... and still he did. This shows not only that I misjudged Haley on his sence of responsibility but furthermore he didn't realise how this would really affect his career. For me, being dutch and all, am not that offensive against soft-drugs and alcohol. But when you combine such substances with driving, and certainly when you only have your license for only a year or two, I get really mad. A nephew of mine died 6 year or so ago because his chauffeur was drunk and still thought he was able to drive home. Ofcourse, he wasn't and their car ended up against a tree. Now Haley didn't have any passengers in his car but that doesn't mean he has a responsibility towards those who love and adore him, he wouldn't want his idols dead, I guess.

This does affect my fandom for Haley, but it will not influence my adoration of his previous work, and hopefully his work to come.

I just hope Haley doesn't get anymore in the news like this and becomes all that we hope him to become, he was such a great way along the road!

Haley, please stay our shining star and make us proud saying we are Haley Joel Osment fans.
BrightAngel90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i want to say is that i was disappointed at first but i am over that now. Danchia i just want to say wow. The letter you wrote on here was very amazing and very touching and i agree with you 1000%. Us true fans stand by Haley through the good times and the bad. And now is when i think that he needs us the most. I hope that he gets through this and that people still respect him as the amazing person and amazing actor that he is.
God bless. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Courtesy of google.com
Ryanne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For me, being dutch and all, am not that offensive against soft-drugs and alcohol. But when you combine such substances with driving, and certainly when you only have your license for only a year or two, I get really mad.

Same here! I have nothing against the use of marijuana, I see people using it everyday here at my fraternity group. But just don't combine that and acohol with driving.

Last edited by Ryanne on Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Busara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was well put Ronnie. I share about the same feeling that you have at this moment.

I am very disappointed by this whole situation and I cannot help but recall a very uncomfortable personal situation that I experienced about three years ago. I had been to the theatre, and when I was driving home around 11:30pm it was storming, raining and very dark. At a certain moment when I was making a slow turn, someone on a bicycle (not equipped with any lights) crashed on the hood of my car. The front screen of my car got smashed, my heart felt like it was going a thousand bpm, I got out of the car, and checked up if the guy was alright. He said he was perfectly ok and wanted to continue and go home, but I had another car call the police and an ambulance for me - just to do a quick checkup. We waited, police and ambulance arrived, examined the guy, and when the doctor exitted the ambulance I asked this doctor quickly how he was. I was told this: "he has been drinking, there is no light on his bicycle, you couldn't have seen him, he's ok, and only the very last thing you should do is to worry about all this".

But fact remains that I've been scared to drive around for two whole weeks after the event.

What I mean to say with this is the following: I have no trouble with people having fun and drinking and what have you. But if people do, they should at least know to not put others in frustration and even danger.

If having driven while influenced, Haley has made a terrible mistake. But we all know that he is a fine and honest person, never meaning to cause trouble, and never to make reckless decisions. I am very certain that he has learned a great deal from this event, and hope he will continue to be a person and actor that I highly respect.

Make us proud Haley.

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
xekk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all the stories you guys have written and in all the stories there was something that I agree with.
But let's be honest It was a very bad mistake but everyone makes mistakes.
What I want to say is: Dont let this mistake ruin his life and our support.
(bad english I know!!)
Dana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danchia
I honestly think i'm going to cry, that was the sweetest thing i ever read, Haley is definitely going to be in my prayers starting tonight. I will as well be alongside you, i will as well continue to love and support him. Personally i've been told spiritually, love the person no matter what he/she has done bad, as they say, love is the strongest thing in the world. Hey listen why don't we start an internet type prayer, i'll start: god, as we come to you tonight hunbley we or most of us know how come to pray about Haley Joel Osment, lord, please help us kick away the devil thats got a hold of him right now lord.......... Ok someone want to add on, please do so.
SonChan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly put, danchia! I agree wholeheartilly with you!

(And amen to what Dana said ^^)
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone , for your many sincere and heartfelt posts . Smile

Oh , and to everyone who is new to the board , a BIG WELCOME !

PS: I love your avatar, SonChan ! That sure was quick ! LOL Wink Very Happy
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Dana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome Danchia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> A Personal Note from the Webmaster regarding Haley All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: