Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, I met Haley!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Home of the Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ariel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: So, I met Haley! Reply with quote

It was like this. I met my husband at his work, and when he clocked out, we drove over to the Fox lot. We were way early, but interestingly enough, John saw a guy he remembered from when he worked there! And neither of us realized, until the guy pointed it out, that John was wearing his X-Files jacket!

So that got us to 6:30, when the theater doors opened. We were the first people there who were not associated with the film. I talked to the two guys with the list, and they know you, Dan, and expressed regret that you couldn't be there, and gratitude for all you've done for the film.

So around 7, we went into the theater itself, and after a while, I was restless and wanted a cigarette. John was afraid that I might not be allowed back in if I left, but a little voice whispered to me, "Go where you're meant to go."

So I went outside and lit up. And I'd barely taken three puffs when along came a group of people which included HALEY! It is something to see him in a group, let me tell you. He does not have the "star" attitude, like his crew are just there to form a wall around him. He was talking and interacting and being his (I assume) usual cheerful friendly self. IOW, he was the center of the group, but because he drew people to him, not because they were afraid to leave. He was wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt over a t-shirt, and his hair looked gorgeous, all fluffy, with sideburns again, though shorter ones than before.

So after he went inside, I hesitated, and finally realized that Haley's dad was standing in the doorway. I ditched the cigarette, hopped up the steps and said "Mr. Osment?" He turned and acknowledged me, and I said, "I just have to shake your hand for raising two such fine children." He was friendly too, and his accent was not that pronounced. He said Haley's school year was over on Monday, and that he (Haley) wished it was longer! I also met Haley's mom, but she wasn't very talkative.

So, the movie. Well, I said I wouldn't give spoilers, but it was really good. Very well acted, well paced, well plotted. I thought they captured the atmosphere of a small Indiana town well. John, who is a bug on sports movies, said it's right up there with the best of them, and he thinks it will do well in the market. The only thing I didn't like, honestly, was the way Danielle's character got short shrift. She didn't have a lot to do. But she did well with what she did do.

Then, afterwards. Well, as far as I know, there was no meet 'n' greet or Q&A. If there had been, I would think someone would have announced it, and they didn't. So what I did do was double back to where I was fairly sure Haley had been sitting, and waited until he was talking to other people. While I waited, I exchanged a few words with the guy who is Haley's NYU roommate (I don't remember his name, but I wouldn't post it anyway), about how they'd survived an East coast winter.

Finally, I introduced myself to Haley! "Hi, I'm Sandy [shakes hand]...Can my husband get a picture of us?" As we were walking over to John, I added, "There's no way you'd remember, but we were on the crew of 'I'll Remember April'. He was an electric, and I did craft service for a couple days." [This is true, but the funny thing is, WE didn't remember HIM!] He said, "Oh, no way!" or something to that effect. John took the picture, and it came out kind of dark, but he should be able to lighten it up. After that, I shook his hand again and said, "Take care of yourself, man; I want you to make a LOT more movies!"

Haley was the picture of enthusiasm throughout all this. All in all, it's an experience I will never forget!

Oh, and Dan, the kid was in the movie. His face wasn't shown, but his voice was heard. So he can get his SAG card now!
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU, Ariel !!! That was a great review , and I appreciate it so much !

Now how about those pictures !!!!

daniel
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
Ariel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there's only one. Haley was only able to spend 2-3 minutes with each person who wanted to meet him, and it was not an official meet 'n' greet at that: just people, like me, who were brave enough to approach him.

My husband will do what he can to lighten the photo, and then I'll post it!
Ariel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bonehead.

THANK YOU DAN, for getting me on the list for the screening! I can't believe I didn't say that first!
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are MOST welcome , Ariel Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Busara

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing all this with us Ariel! Very Happy

Say, Ariel, can you tell us a bit more about Haley's performance in the film? Without getting into too much plot-details ofcourse? I mean, I am personally curious to know if there were 'powerful and dramatic' sequences for Haley? Perhaps one that could draw a tear or two? Please let us know. Smile

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
AllRevvedUp

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, That's one out of two of the ONLY things I want to know about this movie (before I see it) without getting too deep into it, is: A tiny bit more on Haley's/Ryan's performance; like if this is a potential TEAR-JERKER...and If Ryan and/or Haley cry in the movie, AND THAT'S IT! lollolol
Ariel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. No tear-jerking. No crying, either from the cast or the audience.

You won't be crying for Gar; you'll be cheering for him. I wouldn't say there were "powerful and dramatic scenes," only because it's not a dramatic film, at least, not in the sense that TSS or PIF were dramatic. It starts off as a slice-of-life film, but once the tension is introduced, it moves fast. Not so fast that people can't keep track of the action, but character is developed through the action, not through talky scenes.

Gar is an assertive person, and that's what impressed me most. He's not poor little Cole on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and he's not poor little Romek or Trevor, letting people push him around. He pushes back, or at least doesn't give in. If he's like any of Haley's previous characters, he's like Walter, with three more years' worth of growth and maturity. Bottom line, there's some good acting, and opportunities for Gar and Haley to prove himself, and they both did!
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel ... your feedback about the film has been amazing ! Thanks !

I'm going to quote some other posts that you , Fair and others made over at the Offficial Haley Boards , which I thought should be archived here as well Smile

Quote:
Fair wrote :
So cool Ariel, and thank you very much for putting so much into capturing the evening for us.

I have way more questions than I should probably ask, so here are just a few... that is if you do not mind answering them of course... your choice, it's all good.

Approximate runtime for the film... that's not a spoiler is it?

A lot of people in attendance or not so much?

General reaction from everyone else to the film... could you "feel" that reaction, like was the theatre brimming with electricity, was the audience really into the film?

Did you get a sense about how the studio execs felt about the film... like is this a film they would consider distributing?

Do you think this film will help Haley with his transition into the world of adult actors... was this a big step, or a more focused little step, but a step none-the-less?

Keeping in mind the types of films that are usually "popular" in North America, do you think this film would do reasonably well as a general release, or would it be better to stick to the "art-house" circuit?

How do you think the "critics" would react to this film... would they be positive about it, or would they rip it to shreads, like just another "sports" movie or something? Keeping in mind how SHL was received, and how many critics could not get past Haley's fluctuating voice, like that was somehow important to the film... *rolls eyes*

It has been a couple of hours I guess, does the film stay with you long after you have seen it, and are you still thinking about it, or still "feeling" it?

The one question I hope you can answer... are you happy that Haley chose to do this project, like is it a worthy addition to the rest of his filmography and you would call it a true "Haley Film"?

Quote:
Ariel wrote :

Runtime: A little more than 90 minutes, IIRC.

Attendance: Theater was almost full, and it seated 400.

General reaction: Yes, people were into it. They reacted to key scenes, and applauded at the end. My husband had been worried he might fall asleep (he was run ragged at work) but he was drawn right in to the story.

Studio execs: No clue.

Transition: Definitely. It's like I surmised from everything I've read about this film: Haley's character is a young man. He faces challenges and deals with them. Gar is cool, confident and easy-going, even in comparison to Ryan's character. Also, it was a very high-school story, which wouldn't normally seem like a transitional film, but this is Haley's first/only film with a HS setting, so it's a step forward. And he looks young enough that he could continue to play teenagers for a few more years, if it comes to that. Directors will love that, because they'll be able to get a full day out of him!

Venue: There's nothing particularly art-house about it. I think it will do well in a general release. Just how well, remains to be seen.

Critics: I think they'll be favorable. I don't know if they'll love it, but I don't think they'll slag it as a "typical sports movie." I also don't think they'll be able to female-dog about the stuff they usually do when reviewing Haley's films. He doesn't cry, his voice doesn't squeak, he doesn't have any "awwww" scenes. This is the kind of role actors like Elijah Wood and Christian Bale did to bridge the gap between boy and man.

Staying power: I'm still thinking about it, although I'm not sure how much of that is because of Haley. I will say this: it was clever.

Satisfaction: Yes, I think this was an excellent choice, and a fine addition to Haley's filmography!

Quote:
Fair wrote :

Thanks for all the answers Ariel, both for these, and for all the others being directed your way.... and the biggest thanks for sharing so much of Haley's "presence" at the event, which is something that usually does not get captured or related in a tangible way... so I very much appreciate that.

What your wonderful answers to the questions about the film have done, is made it possible for me at least, to be content and wait for the film to arrive. I no longer have to have any doubts or concerns about the film, like with how long it is taking, and can just fully appreciate it whenever it arrives.

All that being said... lol... I did have a couple more film questions if you do not mind...

Do you think this film will have a "broad" appeal... like say what if someone had no interest in sports or basketball, would they still be able to enjoy this film? I am thinking about if it can cross the boundries from being just a sports movie, to being something anyone can enjoy... to basically capture as wide range of an audience as it can.

Of all the film concept posters that we have seen, including the one with the bullets at the myspace site, and let's even include the Spectre flyer that was created to advertise the event... having seen the film, which poster do you think would be best used to help "sell" the film to the majority of people that do not know anything about it, and probably do not know it even exists?

Thanks again, and I am so happy for you that you could be a part of this special event.

Quote:
Trevor H wrote :

Thanks you for all the info. Interesting night. Hope things work out well for the film. Good to see you got to meet his parents.

Also good to see you were able to meet ours truly. Glad that you didn't ask him any personal questions too. I liked what you said about Haley. I've noticed how ever since Haley burst on the scene, he had a quiet, warm & friendly 'boy-next-door' personality. Good to see his child stardom never changed that. Also good to see that his warmth and friendliness is no typical phony Hollywood shtick. Haley's the real thing! One of these days I hope to meet him.

Home Of The Giants should be unique as it will be a turning point in Haley's career. He now has the opportunity to show the public he's grown a lot and that his teenage awkwardness is going, going, almost gone. Now all we have to do is wait until it's released.

Quote:
Ariel wrote :

I didn't notice Ryan at the screening. He may have been there, but I'm not tuned in to him like with Haley. I will say, if he was there, he was not near Haley!

His performance was good, and so was his chemistry with Haley. They seemed just like guys I've known!

Quote:
Ariel wrote :

Broad appeal: Yes, I think it does have one. It's about teenagers figuring out what kind of people they want to be, where their integrity lies. The idea of Haley and Danielle's characters being student journalists ties into this well. It's not "just" a sports movie; in fact, if anything would hinder the audience range, it might be because there's not *enough* basketball in it. But I said "might." Point is, it's not the standard Will He Win the Big Game tm plot.

Posters: I think the one with the handcuffs. Or perhaps the one with the ski mask. It is a dark movie. But the one with the bullets is going too far: it's not *that* dark! (Also, Haley looks really weird in a ski mask. Or not weird, menacing. But for him, that's weird!)

And you're welcome! I had to settle down a bit before I could convey Haley's "presence", as you put it, but that was the most rewarding aspect of the evening!

Great stuff, Ariel ... thank you ! Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Busara

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to be reading all this - thanks again for keeping in touch with us.

Quote:
if anything would hinder the audience range, it might be because there's not *enough* basketball in it.

This is interesting, btw. I was always worried it might be too much about basketball. Obviously I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm glad the film seems to be focussing on the mentioned dark story instead of the sports. The 'not including enough basketball' would not be hindering the audience right here I think. In fact, I think that the less basketball in it, the more appreciated it would be in these regions (Europe).

I'm happy to be reading that there's an interesting story in the film. Being 'dark', but not 'too dark' seems perfect to me. The 90 minute runtime also seems make the movie 'easily consumable' for many movie goers I guess. Perhaps the producers intended to make a slightly 'easier' film for most people, including quite a bit of the (in the US at least, I guess) popular sports theme.

It's a shame there doesn't appear to be real powerful drama though. I had really, really hoped for at least one or two moments that would be really moving at least. But that's just me. I love to shed a tear with a moving film.

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
user

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Haley Reply with quote

Great report! Thanks everyone for all of your comments on Haley.
tonitonichopper

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh sounds like you had a good time Ariel.
haley lover

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree..u had a great time! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Home of the Giants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: