Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Tribute to A.I.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynxcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: What if..... Reply with quote

Here's a question....

If you lived in the world of A.I., would you buy and imprint a mecha child to yourself?

Why or why not?
Alain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I would definitely buy a mecha child, and imprint. Why? Well, for one, I am celibate, meaning I choose not to be involved in sexual activities, and a robot is clearly not produced from a human. So, it would be my child. Plus, there is less to worry about with a robot child. Sure, you have to show it love, but you don't have to feed it, you can tell it to shut up, and it will listen, you never have to worry about it's physical state unless it has a broken part, and it is probably more intelligent (due to programmed wont for education) than the average human child. So. There you go. That's my 'pinion. Ehp. 'Nuff said.
Doctor_go

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: It.........? Reply with quote

It seems funny to me that you refer to a mecha child as "IT". While lower class robots such as Joe might qualify as an "IT" (no real self awareness),
David and the mecha children that followed were, as Hobby put it , "of a qualititively different order".

David was different than the common robots in that he was actually A NEW LIFE FORM. Except for his mechanical body, he was every bit the same as a human!

The cybertronics tech hit it right on the head when she asked Hobby "If we create a robot who can genuinelly LOVE a human, WHAT RESPONSIBILITY DOES THAT HUMAN HAVE IN RETURN???

In my opinion, for the human to imprint just to make the child a butler or slave (or worse) is child abuse just the same as if it was a human child.....
Alain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...we're not supposed to refer to a child as "it"? Sorry, my mistake.... Anywho, I wouldn't use one as a butler. I would use it as a child. I was just pointing out that a mecha child would indeed be easier to take care of than I human child. That's all.
lynxcat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: mecha child... Reply with quote

I would love to have a mecha child! To have someone that would love me so unconditonally would be wonderful! And I would love him back just as much... And I agree with you that a mecha like David would be as "real" as me or you. Isn't it our minds that make us who we really are? That give us our personalty, our sence of self, dreams, and everything that defines who we are? I think so. Even though we often judge each other by what we look like.
romprime2000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would get a mecha child to love as like to a real child to love even if the robot child was program to love to feel real love for me what would be the differents only that the robot child could not eat or drink or grow up go to school or leave the nest after 18 or 20 years like most parents would like there childen to do. but with a mecha child its forever in a freeze frame never ageing. but still a child. a mecha child!!.

i have a little girl she is a bright star a gift from god. and is a handful at times but i would not have it any other why shes my little girl.

robert a-k-a romprime2000 Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Tribute to A.I. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: