Come Away O Human Child
A Message Board for all fans of Haley Joel Osment , A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Home of the Giants and Montana Amazon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About A Boy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: About A Boy Reply with quote

There are many things I like about the movie, About A Boy. Firstly, an intelligent, genuinely witty screenplay , secondly , surprisingly touching performances from Hugh Grant and Nicholas Hoult , and thirdly , clever references to Haley Joel Osment !

I don't want to give away any spoilers here, but watch the movie and you will find at least 3 references to Haley and to one of his most highly respected film roles.

Worth buying on DVD ! Smile
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
www.tributesites.net/montanaamazon/
pazu7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the biggest Hugh Grant fan but I really did like this film also. I have a copy. It was a bit of a change for Grant too. He talks about it in the special features.
lynxcat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check it out!
Busara

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've finally had the chance to see About a Boy. I bought the DVD some while ago and played it tonight - and I really enjoyed it. Smile

Like Pazu, I've never been a fan of Hugh Grant - but in this film he's doing rather marvellous work. He is strangly likeable, as are most of the film's other characters. While at most a film of fun and comedy, the movie sure has a couple of touching moments. They worked rather well for me.

At least three Haley references? I am certain I have spotted two... And I think I got the third one. I don't want to spoil things for this movie, but I'll say the words Drama and Vegetarian. Wink I didn't catch the third one, after my first viewing. But perhaps it's Toni Collette's role? Smile

A recommended movie, most certainly. Funny, and touching as well.

robvisser.net : my personal website - my movie reviews and more
www.poppedcorn.net : movie reviews and more
danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busara wrote:

At least three Haley references? I am certain I have spotted two... And I think I got the third one. I don't want to spoil things for this movie, but I'll say the words Drama and Vegetarian. Wink I didn't catch the third one, after my first viewing. But perhaps it's Toni Collette's role? Smile

Hi Busara !

I'm so glad that you enjoyed About A Boy . It remains one of my favourite films . Drama is correct , and yes , Toni Collette is too. For the third, I would say, " Doorknob" Wink

Hmmm.... "vegetarian" ? Could there be a 4th Haley reference that I might have missed ? Shocked
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Busara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doorknob eh? Hmmmmmm... Sounds like another Sixth Sense thing, but I cannot remember any referring Doorknob-ish things in AaB... I'll have to check out the film again. I'm going through the DVD again anyway. Smile

And I thought maybe the whole vegetarian thing was also referring to Haley. But maybe I was pushing it, hehe. Because of the "Drama" / HJO remark, it became easy to see this as another 'reference'. He is into vegatarian stuff I believe, I remember it also being referenced in Secondhand Lions. Smile

danchia
Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busara wrote:
Doorknob eh? Hmmmmmm... Sounds like another Sixth Sense thing, but I cannot remember any referring Doorknob-ish things in AaB... I'll have to check out the film again. I'm going through the DVD again anyway. Smile

And I thought maybe the whole vegetarian thing was also referring to Haley. But maybe I was pushing it, hehe. Because of the "Drama" / HJO remark, it became easy to see this as another 'reference'. He is into vegatarian stuff I believe, I remember it also being referenced in Secondhand Lions. Smile

Heh heh .... you missed the doorknob reference ? Never mind, that will give you another chance to watch the film . Wink

As for the drama remark , it's interesting to note that in Nick Hornby's original book , which was published in 1998 before it was turned into a film in 2002 , the drama remark could not have been , for obvious reasons, about Haley . Instead, another major young actor's name was used .

Can you guess who that actor might have been ? Smile Clue : he was a MAJOR star , but he never made his mark as an actor's actor as Haley has....
www.homeofthegiants.com
www.truthandtreason.net
www.tributesites.net
Busara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say Doorknob, I think Sixth Sense. Heh. But I cannot remember that reference in About a Boy. I'll make sure to see the film again soon, because you certainly made me curious.

As for the other young drama star, I really can't think of someone at the moment that had Haley's current skills. You really have to give me another hint. Wink

user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: About a Boy Reply with quote

I have this film.I can't say it's a big favorite of mine but the kid has a beautiful singing voice-to hear the kid sing makes it worth seeing.If you like this,pict up The Choir from PBS-This mini series was very good and Anthony Ways voice is Angelic!
Mc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this movie last year or so, I remember liking it, but I didn't think it was anything special, just an enjoyable feel-good movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Come Away O Human Child Forum Index -> Film Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: